Underwater Egress Training In Ontario

Dawna

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
That would be great! Any information you can pass along would be greatly appreciated!

Dawna:

From one newb to another :huh: .... what does Underwater Egress Training comprise ? If I had to guess it would be either lifting objects into or from the water by helicopter <----- am i right ?

I'm curious and a fellow Ontarian :)

Take Care,

J-MON

Emergency training for ditching aircraft and being able to safely exit whilst submurged in aircraft - courses usually use a simulated aircraft that can be submerged into water, the ones I've seen were in an indoor pool, and the aircraft can be flipped upside down etc to simulate the real thing.

Emergency training for ditching aircraft and being able to safely exit whilst submurged in aircraft - courses usually use a simulated aircraft that can be submerged into water, the ones I've seen were in an indoor pool, and the aircraft can be flipped upside down etc to simulate the real thing.

YES ! Thanks 3Lions

I've seen a documentary (on Discovery Channel) that showed this type of training for the Coast Guard. It was just like you mentioned in an indoor pool with the hull of a helicopter that could be spun around and dunked beneath the water. I'm unsure if they obstructed the vision of the trainees or not but if they did it would better simulate a night egress from water.

Critical life skill for all pilots to learn by feel alone how to get out of the craft before it submerges.

The one thing I'll add (from my experience canoeing [early May in Algonquin Park]) is that if you go into shock from the temp. of water - you won't be able to hold your breath and you won't be able to call for help. :shock: <---- which ultimately sucks

Take Great Care,

J-MON