Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Building A Hanger, Ideas Required (pilots And Maintenance)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing better than a stripper pole is two stripper poles.

Or maybe a trapeze.....hmmmmm

The wireless internet is great but I have noticed a few people distracted by messenger, facebook and shady helicopter forums in our hangers that have it.

SM

Hey everyone,

We are an operator with 23 helicopters and we are building a hanger with the blueprints already approved but we are wondering if we could get some idea's about specifics you really liked about some hangers you have worked or noticed crossing the country.

Ideas, likes, dislikes inside and especially outside. We have heard some great ideas like a sloped floor with a drain just inside the hanger door for washing, and stands for working on around the helicopter instead of ladders, But we could use a lot more ideas.

thanks

A few questions.

1 How many of the 23 helicopters do you expect to be in the hanger at the same time?

2 How big are they?

3 Are we tallking lights, mediums, Bell, Eurocopter, or others?

Just asking ?

The only thing better than a stripper pole is two stripper poles.

Or maybe a trapeze.....hmmmmm

The wireless internet is great but I have noticed a few people distracted by messenger, facebook and shady helicopter forums in our hangers that have it.

SM

How about a on stage shower to go with those poles and trapeze...

A big enough main hanger door to not have to worry about hanger rash!! Would be a good start.

post-4134-1215929008_thumb.gif

A few questions.

1 How many of the 23 helicopters do you expect to be in the hanger at the same time?

2 How big are they?

3 Are we tallking lights, mediums, Bell, Eurocopter, or others?

Just asking ?

Ok Elvis....just to humour you, we'll give you some hypothetical answers and we expect a digitized floor plan to be available by next friday.... :punk:

1) approximate room for 15.5 helicopters. to add a margin of safety, we should increase that room to accommodate all helicopters during the slow season when everything is home in the barn. so make it 25 (room for the crew truck oil changes too)

2) helicopters, well, real man helicopters are big, so we're not talking a handful of sardined R22's here, we should really man up and make sure we have sufficient room for the big daddy of all, the MI 26....they're coming to take over all lift operations.....mark my words. Trreplanting will never be the same.

3) I think two answered that question, but just to be on the safe side, I'm gonna add a couple of them thar Bell's, they the sh*ts man....everyone wants those. :blink:

My key ideas. Some have been mentioned some I have been involved with designing others I have seen recently.

Make sure the hangar tracks are inside the hangar not on the outside. That way when it is snowy icy etc your tracks are nice and clean and the doors will move

Make an electrical,air,ground power outlet in the hangar floor or 2 or more. This saves on dragging hoses, extension cords and Christie power cords from the walls. It has too be deep enought to have a catch basin so the electrical connections don't get wet.

Good air movement exhaust fans for replenishing hangar air on muggy /hot nights and days.

Make the floors in your cleaning rooms varsol etc, lower than the hangar or office floors. That will make the environmental people happy and you have little to fear from a spill.

Epoxy paint is great but don't make it pure white, that is too dangerous as you can't see fluids and it is too hard on the eyes. A very light shade of grey works best (5-10%).

Lots of overhead natural light

Windows in the doors

Don't face the hangar doors north if you can avoid it