Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Schools That Offer Discounts In Return For Work

deltalima

Hi all

Just to introduce myself, i'm from the UK and am currently researching the possibilities of doing the CPL(H) in Canada.

I have trawled through countless posts for hours on end and was wondering if anyone would mind helping me out with a few questions:-

Is there a school which would give you reduced training costs in Canada in return for work upon completion?

Most schools use either the Schweizer or the Robinson for training but which would give me the best job prospects?

I understand that once the CPL has been completed the best way to build hours it to instruct, do schools pay for the instructor course on the basis that you work for them for a couple of years?

Some schools offer free accomodation whereas others charge, is there a catch here?

One school says it takes 3 months to complete, another says 6, what is the true time scale?

Sorry if these have been asked before!

Thanks

Si

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a school which would give you reduced training costs in Canada in return for work upon completion?

none that I've heard of......school I went to hired me after I finished but never let on untill the day I was done

Most schools use either the Schweizer or the Robinson for training but which would give me the best job prospects?

people over on this side of the pond do their hundred hours on everything from 47's to Astar's....doesn't seem to be the key factor on getting hired or not

I understand that once the CPL has been completed the best way to build hours it to instruct, do schools pay for the instructor course on the basis that you work for them for a couple of years?

Building your hours instructing mostly happens south of the border.....very few schools here have lower time instructors

Some schools offer free accomodation whereas others charge, is there a catch here?

no...not really...depends on the school...their budget...city they are in, etc. School I went to had a free accomodations. Since then they moved out of that location into a new house and charge rent.

One school says it takes 3 months to complete, another says 6, what is the true time scale?

You determine your time scale dependant on how much work you put in and how quickly you progress...

time go murder a dozen horseflys and try and sleep........ :punk:

Transport Canada requires 400 hours PIC to qualify for an instructor rating preventing the use of newly licenced pilots as instructors.

By the time a pilot has the 400 PIC they are employable in the working world and therefore schools must pay a competitive wage.

I hope it never changes.

Unfortunately if any school offered this benefit everyone would get a discount, so it wouldn't financially make much sense. I think every 100 hour pilot would jump at the prospect of employment after completion, in fact in some cases you are competing with your other peers for a job with the company training you at the end of your training.

sorry to burst your bubble but a lot of training organizations out there are all about the Benjamins (or Bordens). to be a pilot in this country it will cost you $$$, hard work, and all for meager pay

Transport Canada requires 400 hours PIC to qualify for an instructor rating preventing the use of newly licenced pilots as instructors.

By the time a pilot has the 400 PIC they are employable in the working world and therefore schools must pay a competitive wage.

I hope it never changes.

421.77 Class 4 - Helicopter - Requirement (1) Prerequisites

Before commencing training for the Class 4 Instructor Rating, an applicant shall hold a Commercial Pilot Licence - Helicopter have completed a minimum of 250 hours pilot-in-command flight time in helicopters, and have completed a minimum of 15 hours instrument time of which a maximum of 10 hours may have been completed in approved instrument ground trainers.