Astar Or 407

I'm not trying to start a debate on which is the absolute better machine, just what you would rather fly or wrench. The 407 is fast, smooth and a great climber but I find the 350 easier operationally, Big doors, folding/removable seats, lots of baggage compartments and (for me) a more comfortable cockpit (the collective position doesn't block everything in the center console). But I like the Bell too - it's hard not to like the speed and power. So which would you rather drive to work?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me it's easy, 407 for utility work ie drills, any longline work, even skiing. The astar is great for cruising, cross country, bird dogging and general charters. There would be many more I've missed for both but they are both pretty great aircraft.

Now try the Koala!

Can't speak for the powers at be, but she's one **** of a performer. Similar to the 407 in some ways but yet blows it out of the park for lift, speed and tailrotor performance. Just don't land without good tr clearance.

Sorry back to the 350/407 business

I agree with you coastdog

The only thing that I can give the 407 is that it is a little quicker & easier for long lining, for me anyway, as I tend to slow up just a little earlier in the astar when bringing in a load.

Other than that, I would hop in an astar any day given the choice of the 2, as it is more comfortable, better for loading gear into and easier to access the engine etc, and its nice to have a locker to put YOUR gear in and no one else removes it for you!

Now the Koala is another matter, only had a short go in one but they are a nice ship for sure!

The 407 is a great machine but still no where to put your lunch, great for longlining..but u would think they would of put some better seats in it....the Astar is the all around best machine for storage, comfort, lifting...and then u have the Koala Bear...which kicks both machines in the butt...can't even put it in the same league...when u have 2900lb on the hook....one work..impressive.

The 407 is a great machine but still no where to put your lunch, great for longlining..but u would think they would of put some better seats in it....the Astar is the all around best machine for storage, comfort, lifting...and then u have the Koala Bear...which kicks both machines in the butt...can't even put it in the same league...when u have 2900lb on the hook....one work..impressive.

Hey there my friend, see ya soon, get us hired on will ya!

to wrench on, hands down the astar, excluding the books, very open and simple. But for a Bell the 407 is great. better than a 206. Never worked on the Koala, but with the quick look I had, i see a lot of 206 influence. The cockpit doors look very A model 206. Could have changed, been a few years since I looked.

to wrench on, hands down the astar, excluding the books, very open and simple. But for a Bell the 407 is great. better than a 206. Never worked on the Koala, but with the quick look I had, i see a lot of 206 influence. The cockpit doors look very A model 206. Could have changed, been a few years since I looked.
With the newer EDU's it doesn't look so jetboxy that's for sure, lot's of digital guages and a few steam guages like A/S and altimeter. It's got a Pratt so not much like a 206 at all. more like a baby 212

• 1 month later...
I'm not trying to start a debate on which is the absolute better machine, just what you would rather fly or wrench. The 407 is fast, smooth and a great climber but I find the 350 easier operationally, Big doors, folding/removable seats, lots of baggage compartments and (for me) a more comfortable cockpit (the collective position doesn't block everything in the center console). But I like the Bell too - it's hard not to like the speed and power. So which would you rather drive to work?

Ok, to work on it's the Astar for sure. It takes what? 2 minute to take the TRGB cowl off of the Astar and 15 minuts for the 407. To decowl the tranny and engine, its takes maybe 15 minutes on the Astar and you're done sometime after lunch on the 407.Don't get me started on the other cowlings. When you're up on the deck of the Astar you're safe as can be and risking life and limbs when you're on the 407. You have to regrease the TRDS splines every 100 hours on the 407 and that's a pain. There's still the annual on the mast and fuel cells and oh ya they're still the bladder type. Then there's one more blade to cover and tie down. The FCU is pretty easy on the Astar and a gong show on the 407. And as for engine work, the Astar is a pleasure and the 407 fuggedeboutit. Somebody stop me. The pilot's think the 407 is the cat's meow though. If you disagree with me, the gloves are coming off.