Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Cross Canada Helo Trips

i always liked to stop in a winnipeg because the FBO's there always went all out. red carpet, van ride to the building for a snack and pitstops............

valemount is always a stop when i'm headed that way and yes, if you are running heavier equipment give them a call. always friendly, nice people there.......

never ran further than "central" ;) canada so i got nothing past that big medium magnet of dryden ontario..............

now if you were to run across the USA...well....some FBO's in Canada could learn from them...................

and when you have two trucks idling waiting to serve you i have two words......

AIR MILES !!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Going east (204/205), it's yxx - castlegar (wx permitting) - lethbridge - swift current (medicine hat is right on the track, so you can stop there if fuel is tight) - regina - brandon - winnipeg - dryden - thunder bay - terrace bay - chapleau (or wawa) - sudbury. If you're heading to edmonton, and can't make it, stop at lloydminster, not north Battleford. If it's after 5pm in North Battleford you'll be waiting for the guy to get you fuel.

Cheers

Hey VR, what was the hold up for that sea king in north bay? They had it running nearly all afternoon on friday, and when I came in monday morning I thought they were gone, but I guess they had found hangar space at bombardier or voyaguer. They finally lifted off around noon on monday. Heard Gateway helicopters told them "No way" for use of hangar space.

Sharky from what I understand they had to do an engine change so it was likely running for leak checks etc.....They also did a pilot change out. The crew for that aircraft came to Shearwater nearly two weeks before. Considering how long the crew had already been on the road and that they were only in North Bay by then the pilot was swapped out with another to allow her to get back for other duties. When that crew was in Shearwater they had to wait for the aircraft to be prepared properly to become a "water bird" and this delayed their departures. (We use waterbirds to do single engine failure training right to landing on the water)

As for hangar space I don't know the details but I remember folks talking about it and mentioning they the crew had a **** of a time getting hangar space. That surprised me for North Bay, I figured the old base had lots but who knows.....

RB - do you have a lat long for that place in Parry Sound, are they at the airport or near town?

Sharky

You are starting to make me miss North Bay with all your posts. Fion McCools wass bye far one of the best pubs in town. Spent many a nights there. I was wondering if you know my good buddy Mike Parks? Was wondering if you know what he is up to these days? And was also wondering if you know what ever happened to your boss's sister and her flying? Last I seen her was here in "medium magnet" passing through.

I've heard of Mike, but haven't met him. Latest news was that he left Bailey's for....Great Slave I think, not sure.

Bossman's sister is doing well. Teaching groundschool and moving machines around for E&B on the island. What do you mean by 'medium magnet'?

Ya, VR, they did have a hard time finding a hangar, I think they wanted heated space. T'was cold that morning. They had a hard time starting the old girl; reminded me of a 206 with a ceco and a weak battery.....on..off...on...off...on...off....fold the blades up....unfold them....fold 'em up...unfold....

They were generous though, letting the students jump in and have a peek.."A lot more switches than a jetranger!"