206biii Weight Increased To 3350

Fort Worth, Texas Jan 16, 2004

The Bell 206B3 Jet Ranger is one of Bell Helicopters most successful models with thousands of the reliable aircraft in service throughout the world. In response to customer needs, Bell engineers have recently finished a certification program that increases the internal gross weight limit for the 206B to 3,350lbs, a significant increase of 150 lbs. Take-off at the higher gross weight will require an initial airspeed reduction until a corresponding amount of fuel is consumed.

The increase in useful load will enable the JetRanger to be more competitive in the Light Helicopter market. The additional capacity will benefit the Law Enforcement market in particular, as agencies will be able to expand mission capabilities and aircraft effectiveness. Police units can now carry an extra person or extra equipment without having to reduce fuel load or otherwise limit aircraft takeoff weight. In addition, this useful load enhancement could benefit applications such as power line/pipeline patrol, air tourism and urban forest fighting applications.

The product improvements will be retrofitable to most of the 1,714 Jet Rangers in the field today. There will be a technical bulletin or information letter sent to our customers to introduce the STC, which consists of a flight manual supplement (FMS) and a revised airspeed placard for the crew station.

These performance enhancements represent Bell Helicopters’ continuing commitment to improve its products. Bell takes pride in listening to its customers and working diligently to satisfy their helicopter needs. That pride and commitment will lead Bell forward as it continues to innovate and design quality aircraft .

407D...tx for the info...now here are some questions you may or may not know the answers to or maybe have some thoughts on.....

- do you know what the retrofit/STC consists of - is it just a placard and FMS supplement - or is it a mod to the crosstubes/landing gear as I thought that was the limiting factor for a GW of 3200 vs the old external load GW of 3350?

- is it just for the B3 or the B2 also - if the B2 is included, the LTE situation would be more of a concern I would imagine

- the comment about reducing airspeed until some of the fuel load has been burned up - are they referring to VNE (after take-off), similar to the VNE restrictions in the FMS for weights over 3000 - 140mph - presumably that would be lowered further for weights over 3200?

- Any thoughts on how BELL will adjust the HV Diagram and the Alt vs GW chart with the increased GW? With a load on the hook at max GW you can (maybe) punch off the load in time to help the auto, but losing the stove at 3350 internal (especially when pulling full pitch) will mean those reactions have to be even sharper than they usually are!

- I would estimate that in the hover at 3350 torque would be about 93% as 3200 is around 88% Q - Sound about right? A little more finesse required for t/o.

Kinda interesting why the change now after so many years and now that we are spoiled with the AUW performance of the 407/350's. Who are they competing against in the light market - not too much that is close to the 206, except maybe the EC120 - but that's not much competition, or maybe the 350B?

I can't help but think that this mod will do nothing but push that fragile envelope a little bit more. Most of us have likely lifted off with 3350 internal (or more at one time or another) - coaxed it into the air, keeping the Q pegged @ at 100% and/or TOT happy, hoped everything will keep turning the right way, and cursed your judgement or the customer for putting more in the cargo compartment than they said, and then promise yourself that there will not be a next time when the GW is over the max as it didn't feel too comfortable and why do it.

your thoughts?

I saw this article on pprune.org, and confirmed it via the Bell website. I have no other info yet. As you suggest, it just makes what some pilots do or have done legal now, and the already marginal performance of a 206 has now legally become more marginal.

Perhaps more info will be forthcoming from Bell in the next while.

Why not a B206B3 with a C20R. Increased performance from sea lavel to high altitude with no increase in weight on the airframe?????

First canadian operator was Trans North in Haines Junction. The conversion was suggested by Parks Canada to get over the big hills at 15,000 ft.

I believe they did some other conversion after that or bought some already equipped.

Cheers Don

100% TQ is 100%TQ. The C20R will give you more temp margin for the Hot/High days but you don't have any more power available. Remember the limiting factor of the tranny.

Now if they could up that we could get excited. But I agree that it will only make the current operations legal with less of a safety margin.

The only ones that may be really happy about it, may be the customers, but the decrease in performance might just jump up and slap a couple unaware people!

Guest CHEVY II
Fort Worth, Texas Jan 16, 2004

The Bell 206B3 Jet Ranger is one of Bell Helicopters most successful models with thousands of the reliable aircraft in service throughout the world.

I think there's a very good reason for this!

If it ain't broke... <_<

I certainly wouldn't want to be at 3350 doing a power line patrol :shock: