Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Water In Fuel

That is the most stupid question I have heard in a long long time..

Have a safe day everyone......

not water but we had huge issues with cloudy fuel last winter, one supplier was one of the big three and one was not. Both were Jet A fuel at temps below -20'C. We did send some for tests and the problem was most likely parafin.

I had some discussion with this supplier who wanted a huge amount of information such as what material the nozzle was made of, whether or not we used proper grounding(bonding) procedures. My reply was that the first thing we do is look in the drum and it is cloudy thus what difference does it make. This supplier purchased the fuel from a airline who purchased it from a petroleum supplier before pumping it into drums in a yard somewhere.

I asked for a letter stated it was ok to use,,,,,,they sent Jet B. Not saying Jet B is answer but was the solution there.

Must say have never had problem with Petro Canada fuel jet A or B.

Last year, we were operating in the north for a mining exploration project. On the client property there was about (70) 2003 sealed drums of shell jet A. Some operators did not used it saying that this fuel was 4 years old. We opened a few to find out that the fuel was clear and free from water. We had a specific gravity tester to test the fuel which passed successfully. Then we burned it in our 205s.

I wonder if there is an official retirement number of years for drums. We usually go for the 2 year rule but I don't know where it comes from.

I personaly can affirm that it takes a lot of water to flame-out a Bell 205. A few years back, one machine refueled from an abandoned fuel cache from a Heli-ski operator without knowing that the fuel was highly contaminated. Of course the engine was running weird enought to end the operation within 30 minutes but never quit. After investigating, we drained a mix of black water and fuel from the system. 2 days later we flew to that fuel cache, first 10 gallons that we sucked was moslty rusty black water. I could not believe it.