Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Water In Fuel

This year, for the first time, I had a problem with the water test.

It was a new one (sealed), but I don't know how old.

I made the test in one drum, no water (the colour didn't change). Then, when I completed the test with real water, no colour change again - bad water test!

Remember, don't forget to complete the test with water - all the time I meet guys (experienced engineers too) who use to make the test only in the fuel and nerver in the water after.

I just burned up 135 drums of jet B in the last five weeks on a drill job in a L4. I still use the trusty flashlight test as my first line of defense. I had five drums with more than a tablespoon of water, which is more than I'm use to. There was no evidence that they were stored upright outside.

Mini is drunk most of the time....

I just burned up 135 drums of jet B in the last five weeks on a drill job in a L4. I still use the trusty flashlight test as my first line of defense. I had five drums with more than a tablespoon of water, which is more than I'm use to. There was no evidence that they were stored upright outside.

Mini is drunk most of the time....

[/quote

####!...There goes my coffee all over my sleeping bag! Barrels have been good out of Baker Lake so far...even the stuff that was stored over winter. Quite surprised.

Fly Safe all.

I don't know if it is because of the new vendors, but there have been a lot of reports of water in drum fuel lately.

Whatever the reason, there is enough recent solid evidence for all of us to be extra vigilant when pumping from drums.

Use a strong flashlight or dab a little water-finding paste on the bottom of your stand-pipe and then pull it back out to check for water before pumping.

Be careful.

I haven't been finding much water, but I was up on banks island and most of the drums had the FSII seperated after only a year and a half. They showed us at work what that stuff does when it reaches the velcon fuel filters in its concentrated form and its pretty nasty. The filter just breaks down and all the water and filter particles just flow downstream. I always had to make sure I had the drum tipped pretty good when I was pumping so I didnt suck that stuff up.

I haven't been finding much water, but I was up on banks island and most of the drums had the FSII seperated after only a year and a half. They showed us at work what that stuff does when it reaches the velcon fuel filters in its concentrated form and its pretty nasty. The filter just breaks down and all the water and filter particles just flow downstream. I always had to make sure I had the drum tipped pretty good when I was pumping so I didnt suck that stuff up.

An operator (who will remain nameless, but operates red helicopters with a white stripe) just has a problem with water in supposedly 'sealed' drums from a mom-and-pop operation. Turns out, 'recycled' drums were used, instead of the 'new' drums specified in the contract. The recycled drums had degraded welds in the bungs, and voilà - water ingress.

Test every drum. Full stop.