Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

A/f Fuel Filter Contamination

BRZRKR

I was recently doing an inspection on a Bell 206 and discovered very fine metallic particles floating in the bowl and some on the pleats of the A/F fuel filter. Any ideas? I always thought if a boost pump was going I would see the phenolic from the impeller. Fuel contamination?

I wouldnt be too concerned. I always find a few fine particles in the bottom of the filter bowl and some discoloration on the pleats when we do our 300hrs. We get fuel from all over hells half acre. Airport FBO's, offshore fuel locations, etc. We are very careful in monitoring our base fuel system, but if you get fuel in other locations, you can only hope the other guy is doing his job. If you are worried, maybe pull the filter at 150hrs or so and have a look see. The O-ring or even the filter element and the time to do the work is a **** of a lot cheaper than the aircraft. If you maintain your own fuel system, maybe change the filter sooner than you normally would and have a look at the elements.

• 2 weeks later...

have a look and see if the filter is rubbing on the base of the filter body. I've seen it lately. I spoke with a guy who repairs service station pumps, and he said that you can send a sample to the Cummins engine repair shop. and they can test the contamination and tell you what it might be. He also said they are getting alot of water in fuel deliveries to the stations from the east coast refineries.