Vih Going To Angola

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bag swinnger
VIH has been awarded a contract for 6 a/c in Angola to help with elections. They are sending 2 S92's. Starlite of South Africa already has a 92 there. Looks like it will be a lot of fun for the guys.......enjoy :up:

Never mind sending! all six are already here. The last three to arrive were pushed off the Antonov yesterday morning.

In addition to the 92's we have 2 S-61's a 212 and an EC135 over here. The boys were bolting the transmission's back into the 61's today, while we were torquing the blades back on to the 212.

Should be an interesting tour for sure.

I have passed up a lot of great photo ops already cause we are putting these things back together in front of the Angolan Air force's hangar. They have some sort of a strict no photo policy but I will see what I can do. :shock:

Never mind sending! all six are already here. The last three to arrive were pushed off the Antonov yesterday morning.

In addition to the 92's we have 2 S-61's a 212 and an EC135 over here. The boys were bolting the transmission's back into the 61's today, while we were torquing the blades back on to the 212.

Should be an interesting tour for sure.

I have passed up a lot of great photo ops already cause we are putting these things back together in front of the Angolan Air force's hangar. They have some sort of a strict no photo policy but I will see what I can do. :shock:

Wow bag,

man......can't wait to read everyday story from you being there....

take good care....kinda hot territory...

have fun and salute to the hole team there..........fly safe.

sling :punk:

Duhhh I realize that.... But for many years the cubans supported the rebel movement as a proxy to the Russians many believe. I guess I should have been more specific. <_<

"In November 1975, on the eve of Angola’s independence from Portugal, Cuba launched a large-scale military intervention to defend the leftist liberation movement MPLA from US-backed invasions by apartheid South Africa and Zaire in support of two other liberation movements competing for power in the country, FNLA and UNITA. Following the retreat of Zaire and South Africa, Cuban forces remained in Angola to support the MPLA-government against the UNITA-insurgency in the continuing Angolan Civil War.

In 1988, Cuba intervened again, this time to avert a military disaster in a Soviet-led FAPLA (Angolan army) offensive against UNITA. This led to the Battle of Cuito Cuanavale, in which both sides claimed victory. These turn of events is considered to have been the major impetus to the success of the ongoing peace talks leading to the New York Accords after which all foreign forces, both Cuban and South African, withdrew from Angola and Namibia gained its independence. Cuban military engagement in Angola ended in 1991."

The conflict was quite promminant in the news media at the time shortly after the end of the Vietnam war and was watched closely by those who were concerened with the precieved communist expansion.

Guest bag swinnger
Bag,

Did you have to change the paint on the a/c to UN or whatever paint scheme?

This photo taken of C-FLIE today. should look the same as the last time you saw it, other than the location and fod lying everywhere. :shock:

we are not working for the UN.

This photo taken of C-FLIE today. should look the same as the last time you saw it, other than the location and fod lying everywhere. :shock:

we are not working for the UN.

bag!!!

give us some stories about your living experiences there....

geez!!!!! i would like to be there with you guy's!!!

perfect spot for a low timer!........nothings around...shure.....exept for the machines!

would'n mind rampie!!!

have fun and take extra care in town!!! ;)