Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Questions About My First Aviation Medical...

Daz

I had my medical done about a month ago. The doc said everything looked great, except for a concern about my "cupped optic nerves", so before he signed off on it he sent me off to the local optometrist for a full exam to rule out glaucoma.

He also sent me over to the local hospital for my ECG. They just take the readings there; the results had to be sent off to Cranbrook to be read by a cardiologist. As I have no history and I'm relatively fit, I wasn't anticipating any issues.

A week later, the eye doc told me that my eyes are perfect - the cupped nerves are a hereditary weirdness and my eyeball pressures are fine No galucoma and 20/10 vision, to boot! The optometrist then gave this info to my doctor, who would sign off on my medical.

Here's the questions:

My doctor told me he'd contact me if there were any issues. So far, not a word... but is there anything else I need to do? Does the doctor send the results off to Transport Canada and that's all, or do I need to go and get the results and do that myself?

School starts in about three weeks :punk:

Cheers!

Darren in Invermere.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget the hearing test.

I found this on Transport Canada's website:

1.30 The applicant shall be tested on a pure tone audiometer at the initial examination for a Medical Category I and at the first medical examination after age 55, unless tested satisfactory during the five years preceding these dates...

I've had an audiogram sometime in the past three or so years (I worked as an avalanche technician, and the company paid for audiograms to ensure we weren't blasting our hearing away). Would this audiogram show up on my medical records, or would I have to go and track it down? I ask 'cause the doc didn't say a word about the audiogram, so I wonder if it was already in my records.

In regards to the Cat 1 medical - I guess I'm wondering if I get a copy of the results, or if it just goes straight to Transport Canada.

How will my school confirm that I've done the medical? Is it through me, my doctor, or TC?

I can always ask my doc and my school, but I always like to hear the thoughts and experiences of everyone here.

Thanks again,

Darren

Double check that your doc has a copy of your last hearing test. Better safe than sorry.

If I remember right, once you get the ECG and hearing test done it's all sent to your doc who then sends everything to TC. TC will then issue you your medical ticket and you're good to go. Takes a week or two once TC gets everything.

Once you get the ticket in the mail your school will want a photocopy for their records, and the issue number on the medical ticket becomes your licence number you carry for the rest of your career.

Double check that your doc has a copy of your last hearing test. Better safe than sorry.

If I remember right, once you get the ECG and hearing test done it's all sent to your doc who then sends everything to TC. TC will then issue you your medical ticket and you're good to go. Takes a week or two once TC gets everything.

Once you get the ticket in the mail your school will want a photocopy for their records, and the issue number on the medical ticket becomes your licence number you carry for the rest of your career.

Awesome! Thanks for the info - very helpful.

I'll follow up on my audiogram results - I'm still working at my old job, so I'll check and see if they have the audiogram as well.

Cheers,

Darren

if I am not mistaken I seem to remember that you dont need the medical until you are ready to solo....so that should buy you a few extra weeks....

Good luck with your training

Get photocopies of everything for your own records...if there is a problem down the line then you can just re send the info without going to the doc. Handy from the paperwork side. Keeps things consistant over the years as well.

Thanks, everyone. I got copies of my past two audiograms from my current workplace, and I'll visit my local clinic on Monday to see how things are moving along.

Cheers!

Darren

Where you training Daz?

Mark

Bighorn Helicopters at CYBW. I start Sept 15 - can't wait!!.