New Format In Metars

Ryan

Anyone know what's up with the change in the listing of metars, or why it was changed? It was a lot easier for the eyes to scan down a page to look for weather trends. Maybe the eyes just get used to reading something a certain way.

Am I the only one finding it a pain getting used to such a minor change?

Um,

Not sure what you're talking about, looks the same to me....

METAR CYYC 281600Z 24007KT 40SM FEW052 FEW120 16/02 A2979 RMK CU1AC2

SLP100=

METAR CYYC 281500Z 19004KT 40SM FEW070 SCT120 11/03 A2981 RMK AC1AC2

SLP106=

METAR CYYC 281400Z 00000KT 40SM FEW070 BKN120 10/02 A2982 RMK AC1AC5

SLP110=

The TAF on the other hand....

AR

I think Ryan is referring to the fact that METARS used to be listed so that the latest METAR was just above the TAF, whereas now the most recent METAR is at the top of the pile, so to establish a trend, you now have to read from bottom to top...

Took me awhile to even notice the subtle difference... :lol:

Yup you got it Skidz.

Just read on the site a little blurb about it, just saying The display order of METAR/SPECI reports will be reversed.

No reason given, but curious as to what brought it about. I know I'm just nit-picking but it was nice having the current METAR displayed right above the TAF. Gave a nice timeline of what happened, what's here and what's coming.

Now you get what's here, what happened and what's coming. It's anarchy! :rolleyes:

Nice work, guys. I thought I had been taking crazy pills. I was reluctant to mention to anyone that it had changed, in case it had always been most recent first. Then I would have looked like a tool. And that can not be allowed to happen!

I agree with the concept of being able to determine trends, since I harp on that all day every day to students. And they always nod and walk away and look out the window.

I think Ryan is referring to the fact that METARS used to be listed so that the latest METAR was just above the TAF, whereas now the most recent METAR is at the top of the pile, so to establish a trend, you now have to read from bottom to top...

Took me awhile to even notice the subtle difference... :lol:

I thought something was up with the METARS while reading them when everything was all screwed up and reverse. I just thought it was the mind playing tricks on me. I suppose we will just have to get used to the new way :down: