Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Slow Year?

Hey TACO,

I don't think you have seen too much then!

I am one of 'those' guys and I work for a great company..been here over 3 years have PR status.

I don't agree with 100 hr pilots coming over looking for work.

I do agree that if you have the drive and the dedication it doesnt matter where your from your entitled to work where ever and for whoever you want as long as its all legal.

let go of this topic boys its just a pissing match!

OB.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After thought for you TACO!

here is a list of known companies that hire foreign pilots...I want to know if they are on your list.

Mustang

GSH

Wildcat

Baileys

Quest

Canadian Air Crane

Tasman

VIH

AES

Guardian

Prism

All very decent companies listed above.

Did I miss any?

??????????????????????

Here we go again with the annual bash an ANZAC for being in canada by canadian low time pilots and those that simply lack talent. I am a citizen with an accent, proud to have become a citizen of a country that has been good to me, so that now gives me the right to bash my fellow canadians that lack intelligence and the drive to keep themselves busy when things get tough. Remember gentlemen if you wern't taught in flightschool rule number 1. BE FLEXABLE. If you cant do that then get out of rotary aviation while you can still figure out how to flip a burger. This is 2008 the modern industry has become global and thats the way it is. When you get to australia on a 212 or S64 in january and its either bucketing rain or the whole countryside is burning, you won't here the aussies pissing and mouning that all those great machines are full off canucks and yanks, they are glad to have you there and if its raining ask for help to carry the beer to the rental car and head to the beach. Not all of you have to be part of our modern industry but realize your position in it if you choose not to be FLEXABLE!!!!

While at Delta Helicopters I had the pleasure of working with a couple of Russian pilots. These guys had credentials and experience up the yinyang, but because they were new to Canada and Canadian bush flying they were pretty much back to square two. While passing through the US they'd converted their licenses: to unlimited ATPLs! But they couldn't get legal work there...

One of many funny stories: The jetbox was the smallest helicopter either of them had ever flown. They'd done their training on twins the size of 212s!

These guys had the most awesome attitudes! They were quick to help another pilot, grab the broom, keep their machines clean, tidy the crewhouse. (And OMG, you should'a seen them drink! Tumblers of vodka going down like water!!)

All in all, excellent additions to our workforce. I would gladly have either of these pros as a colleague or boss, any time.

Let's not use the same brush to paint everyone from somewhere else. Individual merit has to count for something.

Cheers,

D!ck

"""This is 2008 the modern industry has become global and thats the way it is. When you get to australia on a 212 or S64 in january and its either bucketing rain or the whole countryside is burning, you won't here the aussies pissing and mouning that all those great machines are full off canucks and yanks, they are glad to have you there"""

First off, I have to say that I have no problem with foreign pilots working in Canada.I have met so many great people flying from foreign countries in my short career.

But,,I would like to say is how many S64,S61,212 pilots are there,,very few probably.

They belong to a niche part of the industry.I would have to say the few Canadian pilots flying abroad are filling a very large gaps in the IFR\Heavy lift market.

They are not going to foreign countries to fly R44,s or 206's.

Like I said I have no problems with foreigners,but lets not make it sound like Canadians are filling seats in other countries in light\piston aircraft.

Maybe I'm wrong

Any Input or insight would be appreciated.

49 Merc

Ahhh...here we go again!!! What are you suggesting? One year the Canadian helicopter industry is busy and every company is screaming for pilots it's ok to hire foreigners, but if a slow year comes along you just want to kick all the foreigners out? How convenient! I suppose you don't mind that all the Canadians working abroad get send back home too then. Just for fairness sake! And what's next? Want to send all the East Indians and Chinese home as well, because they crowd your streets, use your schools system and just look different than you?

Is it really a slow year? I've been busy so far and I know that others are too! Maybe it's not slow at all and the reason for your misery is within yourself and your attitude rather than with "all" the foreigners stealing your jobs!? Perhaps you should stop wasting your time stirring "it" here and rather start making changes. How about getting an Ifr or night rating, mountain course, practice long lining or get more education! Is it possible that you do have an attitude problem that needs attention? Being jealous and whining doesn't get you anywhere, but a positive professional attitude and ambition will!

Every foreigner who is legally here on a Visa, found at some point a company who needed / wanted him. That's why they went through that time consuming and expensive application process with him. That process includes a labour market opinion from HRSDC and with all that information a Canadian Immigration officer is making a decision weather or not to give such a person a Visa.

Visa or Citizen with an accent...what's the difference to you anyway? You would complain and whine about it either way!

Every person working on a Visa is also paying taxes here and if they don't, there is something wrong! Not only with that person, but also with the company he is working for. Taxes are payable at source! How do you feel about a foreigner who let's say has worked and paid taxes in Canada for four years. And now you want to send him home. Is he getting all the taxes he paid back too?

You better start accepting the helicopter and aviation industry for what it is...an international industry. And you should get used to working with people from other countries, just like in many other industries these days.

And to finish this...nowhere in your initial post are you talking about 500 - 1500 hour pilots!

Frank you are 100% correct I did not mention mins in my original post and for that I am sorry. You sir are obviously not a Canadian in regards to your response. At what point do you stop letting people do jobs in your country that people are qualified to do from your country when you get mad enough to stand up and say thats enough?

If you paid taxes in your 4 years in country you may have noticed the paved roads on the way to the airport and in the winter they may be plowed thats were your huge contribution went. As far as your argument goes if you are in Pakistan, Ireland or Botswania if your own people cant get a job after putting in the same effort as someone who comes in and works for free for the next 5 years cuz there folks are loaded.

You have good points but please explain that to the Canadian kid who cant get a job in Canada and even harder in Switzerland( Whom I know several guys who got there start here) or France orKiwi Land Or our Australia . By the way do you know how many Canadians I've met who got there first break over seas? I'll give you a hint it rythmes Puck Hall. Good Day Sir or is it G'Day.

Loathe to comment on this subject as I am, I have a periperhal story about not hiring people and how it can happen even to domestic guys. Years ago we had a couple of 100 hr guys come into our hangar looking for a job. One was trained at a school commercialy and one was from CANADOR. Both were equally experienced, both about the same age, etc etc. We had nothing really going on, but I told the CANADOR guy that if we did, I'd hire the other guy first. He wanted to know why, so I told him. I told him the other guy spent his life savings on getting his ticket and would be in a real bind if he didn't find something soon. The guy from CANADOR on the other hand, got his ticket for free and was out nothing if he didn't get a job. Back then, there were very few expats in Canada. I now work with lots of them, and like 2/3 of them very much. They are all high time experienced people who filled holes that otherwise would've gone undone. (The other 1/3 I thought were dorks)

But thats just me....

It also baffels me that there is a pile of hype to a new organization who swears to protect the integrity of the industry in Canada and all I'm hearing is crickets. Hey guys #### or get of the pot! Post something positive without having to defend your selves and maybe you may have a following!

Frank you are 100% correct I did not mention mins in my original post and for that I am sorry. You sir are obviously not a Canadian in regards to your response. At what point do you stop letting people do jobs in your country that people are qualified to do from your country when you get mad enough to stand up and say thats enough?

If you paid taxes in your 4 years in country you may have noticed the paved roads on the way to the airport and in the winter they may be plowed thats were your huge contribution went. As far as your argument goes if you are in Pakistan, Ireland or Botswania if your own people cant get a job after putting in the same effort as someone who comes in and works for free for the next 5 years cuz there folks are loaded.

You have good points but please explain that to the Canadian kid who cant get a job in Canada and even harder in Switzerland( Whom I know several guys who got there start here) or France orKiwi Land Or our Australia . By the way do you know how many Canadians I've met who got there first break over seas? I'll give you a hint it rythmes Puck Hall. Good Day Sir or is it G'Day.

'shakey'...first of all I'm not interested in a p****ing match with you or anybody else here!

Certainly I do understand your point of view, but bashing on foreign pilots is starting at the wrong end! It's the system in Canada that needs re-thinking! Regulations and some very pre-historic customer requirements need to be updated and companies have to come up with some ideas of how to bring Canadian low time pilots on line. The company I'm currently working for is doing exactly that. Guess how many foreign low timers we have!? Yep that's right...NONE! And I totally agree with that! I don't know any company in Western Canada, who would prefer a foreign low time pilot over a Canadian. Do you? How many foreign 100 hour pilots, flying a 206 or R44, do you really know? There can't be that many, because if they are not qualified they won't get a positive labour market opinion from HRSDC and without that...no Visa.

Why is Airborne Energy still advertising to hire foreign pilots to fly R22's and R44's? Can't they hire Canadian low time pilots for the work in the oilfield?

Paved and plowed roads?! You can't be serious and you sure enough haven't travelled much either!? We are clearly talking about pilots from Australia, New Zealand and Europe and not Pakistan or Botswana, right? I have been to most of those places and last time I visited, most of the roads were in a pretty good shape! Probably better than here anyway! And "No"...I don't regret that I left my country and "no" I don't think things are much better there than here in general or when it comes to rotary wing aviation! Otherwise I wouldn't be here!

Canadians getting their first break overseas!? How many pilots do you really know, who have tried? But your point is still valid and a very good one! Getting a license in some of those countries is certainly harder than it is in Canada or the USA, but who's to blame for that? Certainly not the hard working foreign pilots here in Canada!!! Btw, most of those people were able to obtain such a license before they come to Canada! And kicking them out, when things are "slow" ( according to you) won't solve any of YOUR problems either!