Helicopters For Rent?

Flash

Hi there,

I understood that in US you can rent a helicopter and fly it, same with an airplane or a car. Therefore the cost of flying it being a lot lower than actually going to school.

However I understood that Canada has no renting available for helicopters. There is for airplanes, but not for helicopters.

Why is that? Or is my information wrong?

Thanks

Not enough demand for flying clubs to buy helicopters. Some flight schools will knock down their rate by the amount a cfi would make in flight pay, but they'll want you to buy several hours at a shot and may have some training requirements before they let you go off with one of their machines...

Hi there,

I understood that in US you can rent a helicopter and fly it, same with an airplane or a car. Therefore the cost of flying it being a lot lower than actually going to school.

However I understood that Canada has no renting available for helicopters. There is for airplanes, but not for helicopters.

Why is that? Or is my information wrong?

Thanks

I doubt the insurance companies are too stoked about covering the rental helicopter biz. Just a guess.

Not enough demand for flying clubs to buy helicopters. Some flight schools will knock down their rate by the amount a cfi would make in flight pay, but they'll want you to buy several hours at a shot and may have some training requirements before they let you go off with one of their machines...

IF I do find a school willing to drop the CFI pay, what savings would I be looking at? Between 100-150$ / hr? (i'm guessing the machine is irrelevant being it a R22, R44 or B206?)

Ame206350 is right, the insurance companies don't cover helicopter rentals here in Canada. I don't think anyone would be up to paying the outragious rates that would come with it. The flight schools have high enough rates as it is but I think finding one that would knock the price down without the CFI is doubtful. The rate doesn't change any when students are out doing their solo time. With out the CFI there is increased risk and now you have an issue with insurance.

IF I do find a school willing to drop the CFI pay, what savings would I be looking at? Between 100-150$ / hr? (i'm guessing the machine is irrelevant being it a R22, R44 or B206?)

CFI flight pay about 5 years ago was about 45/hr for a class 4, 50/hr for a class 3, 55/hr for a class 2, etc. Nowhere near 100 bucks.

As far as insurance goes, schools who do this consider the pilots renting to be doing "recurrent training". And as I said, before they let you go off "solo", they'll have you do some training with an instructor.

I think most schools would be more concerned with people getting hurt than with any insurance issues... Okay. Maybe I'm dreaming... :lol: