Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The Cougar Thread Redux

Well Saturnman looks as if no one wants to touch this one again. I, however, am not afraid.

It comes as no surprise that a Canadian operator would punish an employee for asserting their rights.

Perhaps, under Canadian rules, rights do not apply to employees.

Seriously though, my advice to anyone so unfortunate as to have this happen is to get a good lawyer immediately. Although many aircrew may not realise it it is actually illegal under Canadian law to harass or persecute an employee for union activities.

Better still, if you ever think your views are getting a negative following from your employer then make sure you document everything that occurs to you. Even go so far as tape recording any meetings/phone calls that you have with management.

I wish none of this union talk was necessary but it appears that most Canadian operators are hellbent on forcing unions onto employees sooner rather than later.

Excellent points. The individual in question has already started procedings against the aforementioned ex-employer (lawyer speak...:))

As far as one of the other points, ONCE a union is in place, an employer cannot sanction employeees, but until the Labour Relations Board of Canada and HRDC formally informs an employer that a union has been certifed, all bets are off.

BTW, it looks as if there will be a certified bargaining unit in place at CHLEMS by the start of the summer (for the medics) and the pilots are sure to follow. I am certain the next few months will be interesting times.

S/M

BTW, it looks as if there will be a certified bargaining unit in place at CHLEMS by the start of the summer (for the medics) and the pilots are sure to follow. I am certain the next few months will be interesting times.

That is a pretty rose colored view of the situation at CHLEMS. The medics are not a certainty, although they do have some support, they still have to ratify. The pilots are sure to follow ????? Unless you know of somthing that the rest of us dont, I do not think they will get anywhere near the required number to put a pilot union in EMS. If you do know somthing the rest of us dont...please pass it on.

Getting cold up there Saturnman ?, trying to heat things up a little ? :D:D