Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

R44 Valve Sb

BRZRKR

Every time I do this I get way different numbers every time. I've also noticed the lock tabs on the back of the push-pull tube shrouds are no longer joined and try to drop into the abyss. Does every body else end up pulling these when a lifter locks up? I need every tip and trick out there.

• 5 months later...
Every time I do this I get way different numbers every time. I've also noticed the lock tabs on the back of the push-pull tube shrouds are no longer joined and try to drop into the abyss. Does every body else end up pulling these when a lifter locks up? I need every tip and trick out there.

If your using Aeroshell W65 or W80 than you will not have a problem with Sticking Valves. DO NOT use Aeroshell W15W50 or Phillips 20W50 or you will have sticking Valves or Worse. Need better info on the lock tabs you speak of. As for different numbers, as long as you have some play and the valve move freely after the springs are removed you should be alright.

• 1 month later...
If your using Aeroshell W65 or W80 than you will not have a problem with Sticking Valves. DO NOT use Aeroshell W15W50 or Phillips 20W50 or you will have sticking Valves or Worse. Need better info on the lock tabs you speak of. As for different numbers, as long as you have some play and the valve move freely after the springs are removed you should be alright.

DLC, Regarding the oil type, what do you base this opinion on? I am currently using AS15/50 in our new R44 II, ( TT 250.0 ) with a pint of AVBLEND at each oil change. WE are obviously interested in reducing valve sticking problems, but conversations with RHC seem to indicate multi viscosity is the way to go.

And when releasing after compliance with SB 388, if you dont measure & record, how do you sign it off?

DLC, Regarding the oil type, what do you base this opinion on? I am currently using AS15/50 in our new R44 II, ( TT 250.0 ) with a pint of AVBLEND at each oil change. WE are obviously interested in reducing valve sticking problems, but conversations with RHC seem to indicate multi viscosity is the way to go.

And when releasing after compliance with SB 388, if you dont measure & record, how do you sign it off?

Most of the problems with different numbers is through improper measurement procedures. I have seen a different engineers argue as to how the measurement is taken. I agree with the oil suggestion, 15/50 is crap. As to signing it off, as long as your numbers are within limits, or a go/no gauge passes, you can sign it off. You only have to write down the numbers in the tech logs or wo's if your mcm, mpm, or company policy demands it.

Most of the problems with different numbers is through improper measurement procedures. I have seen a different engineers argue as to how the measurement is taken. I agree with the oil suggestion, 15/50 is crap. As to signing it off, as long as your numbers are within limits, or a go/no gauge passes, you can sign it off. You only have to write down the numbers in the tech logs or wo's if your mcm, mpm, or company policy demands it.

Thanks for your input, have you seen any other problems related to AS15/50, high oil consumption, low compression numbers, ect? Any feelings about the "plus" version of Aeroshell? The AS80 is not readily available in this area. ( Southern USA).

thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

We've been operating R44 IIs in Northern Alberta for 8+ years running Aeroshell 15w50 with no sticking valve issues so far. I do know a lot of operators who are switching to straight 80w oil recently.

Helidude has enough R44s running around now he probably could give you some insight I think he told me they have 12 or 14 now do oil/gas patch work.

Sean

• 2 weeks later...