Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Getting Sleepy ? Stay Awake - Proven Method

J-MON

LIFE SAVING TIP

Anybody ever been at the controls of a vehicle and you find yourself fighting to stay awake ? Maybe even doing the infamous 'head-nod' going in and out of consciousness ? Dangerous situation to say the least and one that most of us have (not admittedly) been in - right ? Wrong ! It's happened to you or someone you know = fact.

While driving > You've tried:

- rolling down the window

- turning up the music

- pinching / slapping yourself

- maybe even stopping to throw cold water on your face

While Flying > You've tried:

- turning up radio, engaging in communications

- breathing excercises

- what else <----- you tell me

Believe it or not (don't and do the research yourself [read:google]) that all of these methods have been tried and tested by multiple universities recently and ALL OF THEM FAILED to actually stimulate a person enough to keep them awake while they were operating a (simulated) vehicle.

The ONLY method to actually stimulate a person enough to stay awake was this:

CHEWING GUM

The way it works is this; it tricks the body into thinking your eating and therefore your brain releases chemicals that will stimulate you and keep you awake and alert enough to at least finish your trip and get home safely.

<please pass this on to friends, family, co-workers>

Take great care,

J-MON

pinch the underside of your arm also suprisingly hurts like ****. I have found punching the pilot really hard in the arm about every 5 minutes will help keep him awake as well as teach you a few new cuss wods. :lol:

I like to wait until my engineer nods off and then....climb to 10,000 ft and slam my feet on the floor as I roll the throttle off yelling "MAYDAY"!!

Take it all the way to the ground and let the wide eyed engineer give it a good look over while you have a sandwich.

Tends to keep the bugger alert all the way to "Alert"

Max

Yeah I'm a pri%k...so what.

Cigars and cards?? Oh right ..they're right beside my white scarf and leather helmet. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I like to wait until my engineer nods off and then....climb to 10,000 ft and slam my feet on the floor as I roll the throttle off yelling "MAYDAY"!!

Take it all the way to the ground and let the wide eyed engineer give it a good look over while you have a sandwich.

Tends to keep the bugger alert all the way to "Alert"

Max

Yeah I'm a pri%k...so what.

Cigars and cards?? Oh right ..they're right beside my white scarf and leather helmet. :lol:

Max Continuous - I feel more awake just reading your reply ! Your one scary dude and doubly so around April Fool's Day I'm guessing :lol::P