Layoffs And More?

N1

A market correction is heathy for any industry. The US banks needed a correction, 40 year morgages, 0 downpayment, so many people living beyond thier means. It had to happen! In the lower mainland housing costs have been climbing out of control, when the average household income can not support the cost of the average house, well you get the picture.

Over the past few years our industry has seen unparelled growth. Not enough ames, pilots or machines. Anyone who has been around for a while know it cycles. But there are managers out there that didn't look past the gravey train. Do you know what the payments are on an old 212, let alone an eagle rebuild. If you rely on one sourse of revenue, you better make sure its secure. Bad fire year = no revenue for a company that relies on fire. Small oporators don't always have the ability to diversify, so they will get hit the hardest.

When ever there is a large ajustment in the stockmarcket we see a slow down. It wont last forever.

The best part of helicopters is they go up and down.

Rob

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it could actually be benefitial in the long run, for us lowtime guys anyway, to have slow periods every now and then.

All the people who were debating leaving the industry before, for whatever reason, make the decision to pull the pin and when things pick up again there's a lot more work for the people who stick it out.

That's what it looks like from here anyway, does that make sense to anyone else? It may just be my twisted view on things.

Here's hoping.

Cole

I think it could actually be benefitial in the long run, for us lowtime guys anyway, to have slow periods every now and then.

All the people who were debating leaving the industry before, for whatever reason, make the decision to pull the pin and when things pick up again there's a lot more work for the people who stick it out.

That's what it looks like from here anyway, does that make sense to anyone else? It may just be my twisted view on things.

Here's hoping.

Cole

Thats's fine and dandy for the young fellows who live in mom and dad's basement. Those with wives, kids, mortgages and all sorts of other responsibilities might tend to disagree with you.

I think you will find any serious slow down could be devastating to the low time guys as the shortages that force companies to put lower time guys into A/C will no longer exist.

Be careful what you wish for.

Enough doom and gloom for today.....how bout those Leafs!!!

WW

I totally understand that those people counting on flight pay to pay the bills are hit much harder at times like these, my post was more in response to Rob's about things going up and down.

If it doesn't rebound, we're all in trouble, no doubts about that, but takling to guys like Rob who have been around a while has me pretty convinced that, whether it's tomorrow or in 2 years, it will bounce back.

The rebound is what I'm hoping for, not the devastation.

How about those Canucks?

Cheers.

Cole :)

I totally understand that those people counting on flight pay to pay the bills are hit much harder at times like these, my post was more in response to Rob's about things going up and down.

If it doesn't rebound, we're all in trouble, no doubts about that, but takling to guys like Rob who have been around a while has me pretty convinced that, whether it's tomorrow or in 2 years, it will bounce back.

The rebound is what I'm hoping for, not the devastation.

How about those Canucks?

Cheers.

Cole :)

Do they still have a team? :lol:

:punk:

WW

When I first started flying I based my annual income on 350 hrs. per year.

I still do it today and it works.

So you fly 700 hrs. BONUS!

I think people need to start using their heads. How many of us know some guy that got hired by the patch in the last 2 yrs. because he had grade 12 and a strong back.

First thing they did was buy a 80,000 dollar truck and a 500,000 house and a bunch of toys.

Well if you can sustain a 90,000 dollar a year debt for 10 years great....but when the crunch comes as it always does... I'll be the guy buying your house for whatever is left on your mortgage.

I just hope the pinhead dosen't have a family to drag down with him/her.

We all want nice things that we work very hard for but, the variable nature of our industry should temper ones spending .

Max

I think people need to start using their heads. How many of us know some guy that got hired by the patch in the last 2 yrs. because he had grade 12 and a strong back.

First thing they did was buy a 80,000 dollar truck and a 500,000 house and a bunch of toys.

Well if you can sustain a 90,000 dollar a year debt for 10 years great....but when the crunch comes as it always does... I'll be the guy buying your house for whatever is left on your mortgage.

We all want nice things that we work very hard for but, the variable nature of our industry should temper ones spending .

Max

I usually just hang out in the background and browse through all the topics and laugh at most peoples post, but I must say that is the best written advice for this time in the industry and so true. Well put max Continuous. I think now is the time people will realize the grass isn't always greener on the other side and it is wise to hold on to what you have and be happy your still doing what you love and getting paid well to do it.

Max

Great post.