Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Hall Beach

PrtSc

You "must" some day go to Narsarsuaq and take a ride on one of Greenland Airs choppers... they are just the damnest nice bunch of guys and Greenland is the most awsome sight I have ever seen, and belive me I have seen a lot of places.

The history of Aviation in Greenland is well worth reading about, few people have any idea of the hundreds of wrecks that are burried in the ice cap.

Some eventually get calved out as the glaciers slowly move down to the sea.

We walked in to a glacier one day and found bits of some jet that had went missing many years ago.

So if you ever want to visit a really truly intertesting place go to Greenland, its a bit expensive but far , far overshadows any other place on the planet that I have been for sheer awsome over powering remoteness.

Some of the pictures in my web site come close to capturing the look and feel of the coast of Greenland...however to actually fly over it at low level cannot be described in writing..

I had planned on taking my wife on a trip down the Nile I had thought that was the best place to visit before I saw Greenland, but I will take her to Greenland first...if I ever get enough money again. :(

Chas W. (Doctor of Divinity.)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Rev,

Went across the Strait in 91 (or 92) in a 206L.

One if they most harrowing....see stupidest, things I have ever done. Found it rather amusing shortly after departing Cape Dyer for the other side when the engineer with me reach up and pulled the caution circuit breaker, I asked what the ###### he was doing and his reply was "we do not need that any longer". :unsure::unsure:

Visited alot of the communities on the West coast and found the people and the sites simply brilliant. Would love to go back for a visit to Nuuk!

Altough it was some of the toughest flying I had ever done.....ripping drills there was just a little over my head at that time.

If ya get a chance as ICEFLOE about his experience, his accomadations further up the coast from us were awsome....I am sure he wants to go back :up: :up: :shock: :shock:

Thank you very much, seriously, you just made my day. Funny how things pop back into one's memory. We sat down one night and over a few brown bottles watched that tape from beginning to end and that was definetly one of the high lights. Laughed my arse of at the two bafoons fishing for Arctic fox right outside their WeatherHaven, the funny thing was they actually caught their limit and had to turn to catch and release :D:D

yep, simple little things like that can make for a good chuckle.

Speaking of Icefloe, or should I say his Lordship, he was town for a day or two last week conducting his annual cruelty check on "the Whif",

on another note Chickenlegs was here to, call for the details. :up: :up:

Way back in the Cold War days when DND just couldn't allow mere civilians to support the dew line sites (it's a joke guys, relax) Tac Hel guys used to make the crossing in 212s with two fuel bladders in the back and taking sun shots while flying VFR on top, of course Chinooks did the distance easily. Wow, remember being up there always running short of gas and no Omega, no Loran and certainly no GPS. :(:unsure: That could go with the other post about things we used to do but never killed us.

As for the East coast thing, that's funny, hey CTD I guess youre on the East coast man :P