Hall Beach

PrtSc

You cried when you left? What happened? did the freight shift and pinch your toes ??

I spent a tour there, or more correctly, about an hour north on Baffin (Fury and Hecla Straights) We'd fly into Igloolik or Hall for a break. After my tour was finished, my flight to Montreal was cancelled, so instead of burning a week of my time-off waiting for the next flight, I hitch-hiked a ride on an old DC-3 to Churchill and Winnipeg.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

CTD

Single pilot in the summer, two-pilot quasi-IFR (night VFR) in winter. Tough job. Long distances, always on the edge of your fuel, long waits, poor wx reporting and forecasting.

Not for the faint of heart.

Now listen to this guy, he did one tour in which him and BR tried to get to Rowley Island and turned back, never to venture outside for the next 3 weeks.

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P :up:

tag your it.

Was it Rowley Island? I thought it was Unpronouncable Lake between Longstaff and Dewar. At any rate, I've been trying to forget it.

I knew we shouldn't have left that day - talk about an exercise in stupidity and lousy PDM. Snowstorm on the way, almost no chance of getting home, but 'we' decided to launch anyway because the lads were stuck with a dead machine. It was snowing, dark, 55 miles offshore at 6000' over Foxe Basin with the contrast of the water and broken ice just barely visible through the chin, and we started getting autopilot hardovers. You bet we turned around, on my insistance, and we arrived in Hall Beach shooting an illegal IFR approach on the RadAlt and GPS, and got the runway strobes at 0.8 DME.

One of the stupidest things I've ever done in a helicopter.

I don't think we were there for an additional three weeks, we left a couple days later. You're right, I never went back, but that was because I landed the job at Bell.

Yup - imagine that. Sadly, it's not the only illegal thing I've done to save my stupid ***. How about you?

You seem to know a lot about the place, why start a thread asking about it? Is there a point to this little exercise, or just trying to have some fun?

Prstp;

He did say it was an illegal approach, duh.

I once flew around for awhile and the wx got bad and had to land because it was really snowing hard and when landing it was probably below vfr limits. Hmm, guess it would have been better to keep flying away from the bad wx until we got out of the storm, ran low on fuel, waited overnight in freezing temps, had no fuel to get home the next day,put common sense and safety aside, tried using the toilet paper filled sleeping bag supplied by the company, maybe even froze to death, but hey, wouldn't have broke any law. Old saying comes to mind about dieing is cheap and living ain't easy. Its is one thing to be out looking for trouble and it finds you and another about trying to stay clean and trouble sneaks up behind ya and bites you on the ***. Me thinks this is what the boys are trying to say. Never met a sole that didn't break a rule or a law sometime doing something, remember the golden rule, no 407 no THAT Golden rule.

sc