Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Schools In Florida

usairwayspimp

• 1 month later...
hey everyone i live in south florida and i am currently trying to find a good helicopter school and then pursue a career as a helicopter pilot. any info about schools down here i can get would be great.

thanks

sean

Check out Bristow in Titusville. Good School if you want to be a epaulette wearing IFR bus driver, but if you want to work bush I'd look elsewhere

lots of pretty pilot girlies from norway though, and titusville is a dirt cheap place to live.

hmm, seems you can't edit posts on this board?

some things they don't tell you when you sign up at Bristow

No downwind training of any kind. no downwind landings. no downwind quickstops, nada. if you're an FAA student @bristow downwind = instant death :rolleyes:

Viz less then 6sm ? no fly

ceiling less then 3000'? no fly

winds over 18kts? no fly

it's raining? no fly

:blink:

Is the no downwind training only at Bristow or is that an American/FAA thing?

i.e wherever you go in the states.

No downwind training of any kind. no downwind landings. no downwind quickstops, nada. if you're an FAA student @bristow downwind = instant death :rolleyes:

winds over 18kts? no fly

it's raining? no fly

• 4 weeks later...
I was told it was an FAA thing. was rather glad i did my CPL in canada first, but it did void any chance I had of getting a student work visa.

Yessss, I feel for you mate :mellow:

I was definetely happy to do my training with some one that has 15000 hours, but afterwards I found out I threw out a chance of getting 1000+ hrs in 2 years by doing training in US. Even now I highly regret for this and bang my head :unsure:

• 3 months later...

winds over 18kts? no fly

it's raining? no fly

Safety first mate, safety first. We're talking about students now.. we dont want any accidents :)

But we all know that canadians goes teeth first to cover slapshots from blue. ;)

But we all know that canadians goes teeth first to cover slapshots from blue. ;)

Whoa — that line went completely over my head. :huh:

Sean, Bristow has a great reputation in the US and most US employers would look favorably on a Bristow graduate. Amphibious has a good point about a conspicuous lack of downwind training in the States, but that's not just at Bristow — I think you'll find that at most schools in the US. Probably due to the different structure you see in the US, where flight instructors tend to be low-time and thus are not encouraged (understandably, in most cases) to think outside the box.

I think I had my private and instrument tickets before I ever did a downwind approach... by accident, landing on a pinnacle during a stage check... my (low-time) instructor blew it off but it scared the crap out of me and furthered that interest in mountain flying that I mention on the Mountain Winds thread. When I was instructing, I made a point of having my students do into-wind and downwind approaches to the same LZ (in controlled conditions, of course), both to recognize the symptoms of a downwind approach and to learn when you can and can't do one safely. As someone on the Mountain Winds thread mentioned, downwind approaches only seem to bite you when you don't realize that you're doing one!!

Cheers,

Elan