How Do You Know She's The One?

GusChiggins

Hey folks,

So I'm in the process of researching flight schools with the eventual goal of earning a CPL here in BC (hopefully on the Island). I've read most of the threads on the site and am stoked on the amount of tips and suggestions.

I'm all jacked up on the industry, the people, the opportunities and what I'd like to find out is how did yall know you were right for flying/it was right for you? Is it a process that slowly becomes apparent over time? Is it love at first sight? Was there one incident that guaranteed it? Combination of all the above? Are there any attirbutes that you feel a prospective pilot should have? I'm pretty sure everyone's experiences will be different and very individual but I'm hoping to uncover some common themes...

Hey folks,

So I'm in the process of researching flight schools with the eventual goal of earning a CPL here in BC (hopefully on the Island). I've read most of the threads on the site and am stoked on the amount of tips and suggestions.

I'm all jacked up on the industry, the people, the opportunities and what I'd like to find out is how did yall know you were right for flying/it was right for you? Is it a process that slowly becomes apparent over time? Is it love at first sight? Was there one incident that guaranteed it? Combination of all the above? Are there any attirbutes that you feel a prospective pilot should have? I'm pretty sure everyone's experiences will be different and very individual but I'm hoping to uncover some common themes...

WOAH :shock: That's a lot of questions, I think you scared a few people away from responding. Not to worry though since enthusiam is a good thing. Resesarch is good as well. Take your time picking what's right for you.

Is it right for you? Try out an intro flight and see how it feels. Don't spend too much money though... and keep your receipt.

Love at first sight? For some, yes, some, no. Some were kind of born into this industry (mom dad aunt uncle used to fly and lil' Jimmy got to come along every once in a while) and others got hooked and it became an addiction (careful, it seriously can become exactly that... and it's about the most expensive addiction out there)

For me it was a few incidents that guaranteed it.

Attributes a prospective pilot should have? Maturity. A general (at least) knowledge of how things work. The ability to listen and, above all else, a good ATTITUDE (you will hear this a lot), those are a few that stand out in my mind.

All that being said; I did notice two words that stood out in your original post:

Stoked and Jacked

which leads me to believe that (and do not be offended) you may be a little younger... or you're just from the island. There's nothing really wrong with being young in the industry BUT if you decide that this is for you - and if you take out a loan... well then there may be a possibility that your first job might be with a company that will work you on the ground to make sure 'a young guy' (if that's your case) will be responsible and mature enough to fly and that will make paying off that loan (if that will be your case) very difficult.

SO, all THAT being said. IF that sounds like that fits your situation then perhaps saving as much money over the next year or two or three will be a benefit in two ways... actually three, you can also use that time to get a head start on learning all that stuff you'll learn in flight school. Take some of load off.

Now I don't have a lot of experience in the industry but I thought I'd offer my $0.02

There's others that could offer more or even correct me on a few things...

Hope this helps,

Murdoch

Oh, and all you guys/girls from the island... please don't be offended, I was kind of joking. Kind of :rolleyes:

I'm totaly diggin your groove man, surfs up, but don't forget the touch, took, touque, how do you spell it? ya know, the wool thing you wear on your head....

Gus,

Go and see as many schools as you can, find the right one for you. Call all the schools you can't go to, and don't buy our salespitch. Make your decisions on facts, not how rad it sounds. Information is the answer, facts are what matter. Research, research, research!!!!!!!

And as the man says on TV, save your money!

Righteous ride that 47!!!!!!! :punk: :punk: :punk:

Rob

• 3 months later...

Rob nailed it, find what is right for you and do your RESEARCH!! Find what aircraft is going to be the safest and what school can do the most for you. Choose a place that is close to the mountains and a school that actually uses them because that is eventually where you want to end up so why not start early.