Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Night Vfr

gannet

Elvis, if you were on a fire (and if you were a pilot), you'd probably have just punched the bucket into the crik.

I agree with you - "properly done", but my personal opinion is that blanket single pilot operations are not safe, for the reasons you mention. There have been scores of occurrences of single pilots getting overwhelmed by loss of spatial orientation in the dark. John F Kennedy Jr being the most high-profile, and recently an air ambulance 407 in Australia with a high-time IFR driver. I'm firmly in the 'autopilot' and/or 'Otto pilot in the other seat' camp.

As an aside, the next Vortex will have an article on the value of a competant copilot, written by a VERY experienced IFR pilot.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only commercial helicopter Night VFR flights permitted in Canada (that I've heard of) have had very strict regulations, and are very similar to IFR flight i.e. between radio-aids, minimum altitudes, good weather and lighting at destination etc.

In the USA the standards for night VFR are not very much different from day VFR.

Looking at the tragic record of single pilot, single engine, night VFR, medevac/EMS flights highlights the problems that can arise by flying like this.

Thank goodness (and the MoT) we don't do things like that up here.

CTD:

A competant copilot is worth their weight in gold when things go to heck in a handbasket. Having one guy that should know exactly where you are when murking and the right way to go to avoid higher terrain in inadvertant IFR situations is the safest way to do it. Also very useful at times when the leans get you!

Elvis:

If you were on fire in a two engine ride you may have canned the wrong engine. I did that in the simulator once, and its easier to do than you might think :shock: .

Elvis, don't let these guys bug you about finger trouble, they always look at the negative side.......

Just imagine you were ordering a beer...........now you'd have two........what a deal !!

By the way, the flight suit you ordered has just been finished. Here it is on our mannequin.

We will have it shipped to you before your big show with Ms. Dion in Vegas at the HAI convention.

There's no doubt about it,......you will look like a hunka', a hunka' burning love.

Elvis....who were you working for back then...those others mentioned were working for AreoTrades out of WPG...they had the hydro contract and were flying a G4 and a couple of Jetrangers....Woody Venton was the Chief pilot til he left and went with Midwest. :blink: