Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Transport Canada Medical & Risk ...

On September 25th, I got a letter in the mail from Transport Canada. When I opened it, there was a sheet of paper which I later learned was a class 1 medical certificate. October 1st, another letter came. It said that Transport Canada wanted more information.

When I called the number on the letter, a receptionist answered and expressed surprise. She also thought it to be an odd thing to receive a clear medical first, and a letter after. Then told me that the letter ought to have stated at the bottom I'd have 60 days to present the additional requested information. And if they did not receive the information within 60 days, the medical would expire. But my letter didn't say that.

I asked to speak to the doctor who had signed the letter. He was out of the office, but would call me back the following week.

When the doctor called, he affirmed that more information was required. When I questioned him as to why I'd receive the medical, then the letter after... he told me that I did, in fact, have a clear medical. And that it was good for one year. And that he had just thought it to be a good idea to have the additional information on file. I'm not exactly up on my TC procedures, but this made no logical / rational sense to me.

A few years ago I had a stroke (age 29). I didn't really expect to pass the medical, but I wanted to. And I've really wanted to fly, if it was safe to do so.

Apparently there is a conference in Vancouver on Friday with Transport Canada and all the medical doctors/examiners. My case is being used as an example of TC sloppiness. And the need for risk management.

After talking with a good friend who has flown for a number of years, I have come to accept that it's probably not the best idea for me to fly. Things like concentration, memory,

and situational awareness still seem to be affected (too much) under stress.

I've kind of grown attached to you guys.

I hope you don't mind if I stick around.

Even if I can't fly. It sure is great to hear from others who can. And do.

Thanks (a lot) for all of your encouragement, and kindness. It's greatly appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello-Bird:

I am truly sorry to hear about your predicament, but your friend gave you better advice than the experts. You will probably go through life without another incident, but who knows.

As far as staying on this web site, it's open to everybody (ask TQN) our own oldest member who is a non aviation type, but has an interest in it.

Actually as I have said before, being non aviation, you ask questions and bring a different insight into things we take for granted.

As we love TQN, we will grow to love you as well, as long as you keep your sense of humor.

Cheers, Don :D

As far as staying on this web site, it's open to everybody (ask TQN) our own oldest member who is a non aviation type, but has an interest in it.

Don, You are in for big trouble now :shock: :shock:

What do you mean by oldest?

When we meet one day, Don, I hope you remember why I will give you like twenty excruciatingly painful *pinches*! :up: I'm keepin' track you! :P

...I have come to accept that it's probably not the best idea for me to fly...

I've kind of grown attached to you guys.

I hope you don't mind if I stick around.

Even if I can't fly. It sure is great to hear from others who can. And do.

Was very sorry to read that, HBird. <_< I know you've been wrestlin' with the decision, and you know your body/mind/situation best and are the best qualified to make that decision, be that what it may. Don'tchu go anywhere. :) Even if someone tells you to, you know what to reply. :rolleyes::D

Don, You are in for big trouble now :shock: :shock:

What do you mean by oldest?

Elvis: Are you trying to get me into trouble??????

Cough, cough, what I meant actually old boy is the following: TQN is the oldest non aviation type that came on the site and we welcomed her with open arms.

TQN, art thow taking things out of context or just worried about your age. When you get to where I am it's only a stupid number. Love you anyhooooo!!!!!!!

Cheers, Don

When we meet one day, Don, I hope you remember why I will give you like twenty excruciatingly painful *pinches*! :up: I'm keepin' track you! :P

Was very sorry to read that, HBird. <_< I know you've been wrestlin' with the decision, and you know your body/mind/situation best and are the best qualified to make that decision, be that what it may. Don'tchu go anywhere. :) Even if someone tells you to, you know what to reply. :rolleyes::D

*thanks mj*

xo.

A Transport Canada medical doctor. I don't really want to name names. The first doctor told me he would need more info. Then before I could get the info to him, I got the medical in the mail. Then a letter 5 days later saying they wanted more info... A call that said yes I had a medical, and the info was just for "on file."

It was exciting for 5 days. :)