Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The Biggest Problem With This Indusrty

the fact that there are WAY to many hobby pilots in this industry that are being subsidized by top earning spouses , parents and other means and really could care less if they get paid as long as they get the title of "HELICOPTER PILOT" They are just playing. Although this industry allows it in some cases , It just makes a mockery of the guys that are serious about making a living and a career out of it and really loving the industry and the people involved. I have seen it time and time again. Its not a game although many think it is . Maybe it really is these days. but ask the vets. ITS NO GAME. I really hope that the people in charge can weed them alll out this year.

OK Lets hear it

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(...the guys that are serious about making a living and a career out of it and really loving the industry and the people involved).

Where does it say in the rules that one can't be a "hobby pilot"? What about contract pilots? They interfere with you ability to earn a living too.

If you have what it takes, no hobby pilot, (or anyone else, for that matter), will take your job away from you.

And no, I'm not a hobby or contract pilot. Employed full time at jobs and locations of MY choice for almost 38 years.

If you want to be a part of it, and are serious about this industry, it will look after you. What you give back is up to you.

the fact that there are WAY to many hobby pilots in this industry that are being subsidized by top earning spouses , parents and other means and really could care less if they get paid as long as they get the title of "HELICOPTER PILOT" They are just playing. Although this industry allows it in some cases , It just makes a mockery of the guys that are serious about making a living and a career out of it and really loving the industry and the people involved. I have seen it time and time again. Its not a game although many think it is . Maybe it really is these days. but ask the vets. ITS NO GAME. I really hope that the people in charge can weed them alll out this year.

OK Lets hear it

Does that really happen? Why would someone pay 50 - 100k for flight school, bust their *ss trying to get a job, and make all the sacrifices you guys have to make in the bush, in the sub zero temps... in other countries... just so that they can be called a "Helicopter Pilot?" Are the status perks THAT good? Sorry, it's just pretty hard to imagine anyone doing all that for an ego trip. I look forward to reading this thread.

OK Lets hear it

Ummm......somebody sounds a little insecure here !!?? :rolleyes: