Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The Biggest Problem With This Indusrty

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Biggest Problem is people who , think they know what the biggest problem is , spend all their effort to solve the biggest problem and ignore the ( in their opinion) the smaller probems that annoy the rest of us.

Second biggest is people who recognize what the biggest problem is and do nothing to solve it ( other than post on this site )

I am a career pilot and the more hobby pilots the better, they will need me to provide advice, training etc. So fill your boots hobbyists.

I don't think these hobbyists pose a threat to the real mCcoy, hard core career bag slinging pro.

IMHO

My suggestion buddy: If you are not going to be serious about your career development then choose another career. I have worked hard to get to where I am, my skills cannot be easily replaced especialy by one of these so called hobby pilots.

Piss or get off the pot! :rolleyes:

Of all the pilots I know which is probably well into the hundreds, i only know one who I would even try to label a hobby pilot. He has been in the industry forever (or it seems like it) He has made a good living doing other things, i.e. realestate, investing, which he was able to do because he is a pilot. now he drives just to fill in for other guys in the pool and does a couple of things in the summer so he can keep current and becasue he loves the job. Is he a problem with the industy. Not a chance. Sometimes if you really want to see what you concieve to be a problem with the industry, go look in a mirror.

stay safe all.

Anybody who puts hobby pilots ( and I am still unclear exactly what this is) Private Pilot perhaps?? in with the Contract pilots who for the most part are the guys with senior level skills and can pick and choose who they work for. Please clarify Skids Up!

I would say the Contractors are the smart ones who are tired of getting gouged by revenue Canada.

Carry On.

I would define a "hobby pilot" as one who does not need to fly to make a living, but does so out of love for aviation, and interaction with customers. This to me is a worthy goal. The ones that I know are not a big problem in the industry. Of course there are exceptions.

There are also "hobby operators", companies that spring up because there is cash burning a hole in someone’s pocket looking for a cool (ego booster) business to be in. Or in some cases, need a tax write off. They were successful in another business or occupation, and expect that this success will automatically be translated into the helicopter industry. They may have little respect for other operators, and may do whatever it takes to look/be successful. Sometimes they attract hobby pilots.

To me, the biggest problem is, companies and employees that go to great expense and effort to diligently follow the rules, are not necessarily rewarded with more business as a result. Customers often pay lip service to safety, then will jump into the "cheapest helicopters available” to save a few dollars and make their operating budget look good to their bosses. Customers often think all helicopter companies are equal under Transports Canada's watch eye. The fact is, operators with 2-5 helicopters are responsible for the majority of accidents. (From aviation letter).

Our biggest challenge in this industry is to educate our customers, to choose wisely.

I would define a "hobby pilot" as one who does not need to fly to make a living, but does so out of love for aviation, and interaction with customers. This to me is a worthy goal. The ones that I know are not a big problem in the industry. Of course there are exceptions.

There are also "hobby operators", companies that spring up because there is cash burning a hole in someone’s pocket looking for a cool (ego booster) business to be in. Or in some cases, need a tax write off. They were successful in another business or occupation, and expect that this success will automatically be translated into the helicopter industry. They may have little respect for other operators, and may do whatever it takes to look/be successful. Sometimes they attract hobby pilots.

To me, the biggest problem is, companies and employees that go to great expense and effort to diligently follow the rules, are not necessarily rewarded with more business as a result. Customers often pay lip service to safety, then will jump into the "cheapest helicopters available” to save a few dollars and make their operating budget look good to their bosses. Customers often think all helicopter companies are equal under Transports Canada's watch eye. The fact is, operators with 2-5 helicopters are responsible for the majority of accidents. (From aviation letter).

Our biggest challenge in this industry is to educate our customers, to choose wisely.

I would tend to agree with most of this but am curious about the 2-5 accident statistics. It seems that most of the accidents are made by larger companies.

Translation....some interesting comments there.

Quote; "I would define a "hobby pilot" as one who does not need to fly to make a living, but does so out of love for aviation".........

well that sounds more like most pilots I know......we don't make a great living at this, so I guess the only reason us "pro pilots" continue is for the love of the flying......does this mean it is just a hobby ??? Hmmmm.

Quote; "hobby operators"

Most of us have met some pilots who were able to start a company thanks to a huge cash injection from Mum and Dad, but those guys I can think of made a pretty good company out of it. Kudos to them, I would have preferred to take that option (if it was available) than work for some of the clowns from my past.

Quote; operators with 2-5 helicopters are responsible for the majority of accidents

That is an interesting statistic......personally, I can think of many accidents involving companies that should have stayed with just 2-5 helicopters, instead of growing beyond their comfort (safety) level.