Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The Biggest Problem With This Indusrty

A big problem is that there is going to be a surplus of fully qualified experienced pilots in the next few years, and yet the schools are pumping them out like sausages. The schools are the only ones with guaranteed work, but no where for their end product to go to work. And since the majority of the readers on these forums are newer pilots, pay attention to the reality.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could probably eat these words in a year or two, but one slow season and it seems some are forecasting doom and gloom for years. Jesus, one slow season doesn't mean much. Sure some guys are hurting and I've been lucky to still be flying well into the fall, but **** knows what can happen between now and the spring. Half of Canada could be burning come June and I'm sure $65.00 a barrel oil won't be around for long. I don't know, just trying to stay optimistic I guess.

Cheers :)

I could probably eat these words in a year or two, but one slow season and it seems some are forecasting doom and gloom for years. Jesus, one slow season doesn't mean much. Sure some guys are hurting and I've been lucky to still be flying well into the fall, but **** knows what can happen between now and the spring. Half of Canada could be burning come June and I'm sure $65.00 a barrel oil won't be around for long. I don't know, just trying to stay optimistic I guess.

Cheers :)

right!!!

i totaly agree.

"folks, let's anticipate the next season!"

:jerry: :jerry: :censored: ALERT!!! TQN, ALERT!!! TQN, ALERT!!! TQN

What has the world come to, this imbibing and insertion will have to be checked.

The auditor.

:rolleyes: Now, now, Don. I tend to agree with GWK. :shock: Besides, if available statistics may be trusted, the global birthrate fell steadily between 1930 and 1935, when the Depression made its effects felt most acutely...and remained low until after 1940, and then began to rise again in the midst of World War II. So for those who subscribe to GWK's economic-downturn "plan of action," be safe and enjoy! :P

All industries are hurting right now, though that may be li'l consolation to many because it sure don't pay the bills. Hang in there all! It's going to get better! ;) Think positive!

Just to give some another 'perspective'.

I entered this aviation industry in 1961. At that time I was advised that there would be a 'looming pilot shortage' shortly because of all of the ex-WW2 pilots who would be retiring. Every decade afterwards I heard about 'the looming pilot shortage' that was imminent. After all these decades I can now advise all that either I was lied to right from the beginning in 1961 OR some place in the world has a great many very old pilots, some of who flew bombing and fighter missions over German Occupied Europe from 1940-45.........and the b*ggars STILL haven't retired.

Oh....and by the way.....since you can probably guess my approximate age anyway, please be advised that I am now one of those keeping some of you 'newbies' from gainful employment. Now if some of those ancient/ignorant WW2 pilots would please retire from their flightdeck seats, maybe I could take their place and get out of your way so that you newbies may occupy mine.

the fact that there are WAY to many hobby pilots in this industry that are being subsidized by top earning spouses , parents and other means and really could care less if they get paid as long as they get the title of "HELICOPTER PILOT" They are just playing. Although this industry allows it in some cases , It just makes a mockery of the guys that are serious about making a living and a career out of it and really loving the industry and the people involved. I have seen it time and time again. Its not a game although many think it is . Maybe it really is these days. but ask the vets. ITS NO GAME. I really hope that the people in charge can weed them alll out this year.

OK Lets hear it

Umm, someone who doesn't watch news but rather designs it. Sounds like this economic crisis has really gotten to him in more than one way. Having too much time on hand is some's biggest problem. Could be using it to have fun or study for an additional rating to help advance the career. Hopefully he doesn't have to start drawing unemployment or you hobby pilots are really in trouble.