Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Emergency Procedures

Will have to agree with OT and DMNH....love to have an N2 tach combined with the NR needle...was doing a prescribed burn in NW Ontario years ago when the N1 gauge went south..we had just made 4 or 5 passes with the torch when the horn started blaring...the torch guy in the front with me let out a frigging scream that would have woke the dead...as we had 20 foot flames leaping off the trees below us..a quick look at the N2/Nr had my heart back in my chest...reached up and pulled the caution breaker for the warning light and told buddy we needed to land for a minute at the staging area to fix things up...his eyes were still the size of pie plates when he finally says...we aren't going to crash...I said well not just now and preceded to tell him all was sort of okay...and never yell that loud again in the intercom unless he wants to give his pilot a heart attack..in which case he just may crash :blink::rolleyes:

Rotor RPM is life!

This is to the point and very simple. I concur wholeheartedly, also why I will not wear ANR headsets/helmets.

When my little engine problem happened(Decel at 120 ft hover, longlining) All I had was what I heard. Head outside Concentrating, I just heard the rpm drooping more than normal, All I could do was lower fully the collective and in about 1.5 seconds Yarded back up on it to stop the fall. The whole time down I remember trying to wind in more throttle, too bad it was still full open.

The point is every situation is unique, if you have time to look at guages, great! If not, hope your instincts and training are good, Rotor rpm is life and your parachute! In a single I concur with the others, if your rpm is winding down, lower the collective and proceed with further investigation with the situation