Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

206l4 High Alt T/r

The tail rotor is a 407 style, which is non-boosted and is able to change the preset pitch angle by way of a variable ratio bellcrank. It is patched to a control head in the cockpit which requires altitude input. The tail rotor self adjusts depending on altitude to allow the pilot additional left pedal input to compensate for loss of efficiency.

The tail rotor is heavy to fly and takes a bit of getting used to. Watch slippery pads in the winter. FMS-19 in the L4 manual I believe, but its been a while since I have flown it.

Awesome HG-12 Thanks thats what we are looking for please keep it coming. We have done a ton of research but cant seem to find that much info from people that have been around them. I know there is a quite a few of them out there however not alot of news on them.

Thanks again

MH

If you get a sloppy pilot they can do damage to the tail boom attachment area.

• 1 month later...

The L4 with the high altitude T/R kit is the way Bell should have build them 30 years ago. At lower elevations you don’t gain a whole lot compared to a L3. L4’s a bit heavier and the bigger tail requires more power to turn and increases drag.

At higher altitudes the bigger T/R and increased takeoff power reveals its effectiveness. TQ is usually the limiting factor unless you operate way up on a hot day. I recall hitting TOT first above 10,000ft PA and temperature more than 15 C.

As mentioned in a previous post, the T/R is not boosted and therefore takes a bit to get used to. Above 7,000ft DA you get 100% of power (left) pedal available pitch (variable bell crank) by reducing pitch from right pedal. During a high speed right hand turn decent you might hit the right pedal stop and end up in a slipping turn, but I much rather deal with a slipping turn than have your tail come around. There is no critical wind azimuth area, but performance is based on wind within 30 degrees of the nose. (I would have to look it up again)

The T/R seems to have negative stability and therefore don’t take your feet off the pedals. It could be a rigging issue, but during higher airspeeds the pedals tend to move on their own.

Overall it’s a reliable helicopter with very good hot/high performance. On a hot day and high altitude it keeps up with an AS350B2 and B407, just a bit slower. It's still a B206 with old technology.

Stefan

post-5252-1229800040_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...