Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Standard Configuration

old dog

Not dealing with switchology but related:

I once flew an a/c that had the load release CB on the non essential bus - which was fine until the generator quit one fine day and the durn load wouldn't release until the "manual" bus option was selected.

"The Powers that Be" were unimpressed with my complaint until it was pointed out that when our friend Mr. Engine quits he takes his buddy Mr. Generator and the non-essential bus with him.

CB repositioned to the essential bus. ( something that would now probably take 6 months, 12 meetings, reams of paperwork and drawings plus cost $$$$$)

I learned a big lesson and always checked on "what powered" hooks ect after that.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My last employer had mostly 205 cyclic grips on the jetrangers which was nice. Unfortunetly some of them had the jetranger cyclic with the little box on the bottom. I dont like that style becuase if you have winter gear on and you are landing offlevel the little box hits your leg and causes you to run out of cyclic prematurely.

I agree that the little switch box on the side of the cyclic causes one to run out of lateral movement too soon (especially if you are a bigger fellow like me). Ran into the same thing more than once....annoying to say the least!

Not dealing with switchology but related:

I once flew an a/c that had the load release CB on the non essential bus - which was fine until the generator quit one fine day and the durn load wouldn't release until the "manual" bus option was selected.

"The Powers that Be" were unimpressed with my complaint until it was pointed out that when our friend Mr. Engine quits he takes his buddy Mr. Generator and the non-essential bus with him.

CB repositioned to the essential bus. ( something that would now probably take 6 months, 12 meetings, reams of paperwork and drawings plus cost $$$$$)

I learned a big lesson and always checked on "what powered" hooks ect after that.

Two items on that so-called NON-Essential (????) Bus are the FM radio and the water bucket/cargo release, two very essential items in my VFR world ..... that's why I always fly ( VFR ) with that little switch in "Manual".

I agree that the little switch box on the side of the cyclic causes one to run out of lateral movement too soon (especially if you are a bigger fellow like me). Ran into the same thing more than once....annoying to say the least!

Do you mean a box on the cyclic or the collective?

In any case, I always mount them on the collective. Belly tank control boxes sometimes excepted.

And it is not a problem if the box is thoughtfully mounted.

Two items on that so-called NON-Essential (????) Bus are the FM radio and the water bucket/cargo release, two very essential items in my VFR world ..... that's why I always fly ( VFR ) with that little switch in "Manual".

What a/c type are you talking about?

Bell, Sikorsky? Or what?

Since you refer to a "Manual" switch, I assume you are talking about a 212.

If so, the BELLY hook was not originally wired that way. On all variants, it was always on the "Essential Buss".

However, some folks have added other things to the "Non-Essential Buss" like water bucket, longline, etc.

But who would do that, eh? Because that would be just plain dumb! :blink:

Sorry - I should have been more clear.

In this case it was a water tank load release on a 205.

I have seen remote hooks, water buckets, long line hooks ect on the non -essential on 212s and 205s can't remember about the 204.

If in doubt I too flew with the switch in manual.

I was trying to point out a potential trap - not being a/c specific.

I have never flown a Sikorsky with a hook installed.

I once flew an IFR 212 which had been used on firefighting and I recall - ( perhaps incorrectly as to which switch ) that when we got it back to IFR world pushing the trim release caused the windshield wipers to come on until the button was released. Big surprise to the chief pilot being as we were in a desert and the windshield had sand on it - large explosion on the part of the CP -quickly changed back to "Normal" configuration. Much laughter from the rest of us.

Lots of common sense here,,,,agree with most. Personally I think the flight manual should be gospel but the problem becomes huge with a mixed fleet of different brands.

There is a grip for the Astars that I believe is available for all models of Astar and is the Bendix type which looks very similar to the Bell 205 type grip, which maybe a solution for companies with both.

I once watched a pilot drop 2 barrels of diesel on a drill job. His response: "On the last machine (different company) I flew, that was a radio button!"

There will never be "a standard" no matter how much we think there should be.

Hopefully companies will be standardized throughout their company aircraft as much as possible, if different types are involved.

But it is a poor carpenter that blames his tools....

Newbies take note. You will see all kinds of configurations and setups. LEARN the one YOU are using. If you press a wrong button, it's not because the company had the wrong "standard" but because you didn't know.

I personally like our 2 button set up. It may not be for everyone, but it works. And you always have the left hand emergency pull (206) or the heel kick (mediums).

Pilot, know thy helicopter and thy procedures. You are responsible.

I guess everyone is different, probably why there is no standards for switch positions. I flew the bendix grip on astar in canmore along with two jetrangers with 205 grips.......very comfortable and switches in similar locations. I find the newer astar grips ok for switch locations but are the most uncomfortable grip have used....each to their own...