Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Great Story's ?

HB-C-JU

OK, one day I had to take four guys from Calgary out to look at a well site. 3 suits, very high up and acted it. No big deal, went out on a gray day, and did the run, but on the way back, the sky started to really gray up, but absolutely not a problem, just a funny sky. On the way back, someone from the back taps on my helmet really fast, I turn and ask whats up on the IC, and the guys behind me says the guy in middle is going to chuck. I can't land fast enough, too high up. Things got bad really fast, but with some wuick thinking, they open up the slider and shove the guys head out and he blows his lungs out. All is fine, everyone is OK, and we land ten minutes later. No one around the hanger, so I go inside with them and make sure all is well. Sheepish looks on one guy, but I laughed and said it happens, don't sweat it. They leave. I go for a wiz and then back out to the machine. My engineer is standing there, asks what the ****, some kind of lead? Syas it didn't taste like hyd fluid or engine oil (dabbed a bit on his finger trick). I asked him if he liked curry on his rice. Then I told him what it was. Threw ladder at me. I laughed.

I'm voting for this one.

Thanks for the ab work out. I'm lmao.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, one day I had to take four guys from Calgary out to look at a well site. 3 suits, very high up and acted it. No big deal, went out on a gray day, and did the run, but on the way back, the sky started to really gray up, but absolutely not a problem, just a funny sky. On the way back, someone from the back taps on my helmet really fast, I turn and ask whats up on the IC, and the guys behind me says the guy in middle is going to chuck. I can't land fast enough, too high up. Things got bad really fast, but with some wuick thinking, they open up the slider and shove the guys head out and he blows his lungs out. All is fine, everyone is OK, and we land ten minutes later. No one around the hanger, so I go inside with them and make sure all is well. Sheepish looks on one guy, but I laughed and said it happens, don't sweat it. They leave. I go for a wiz and then back out to the machine. My engineer is standing there, asks what the ****, some kind of lead? Syas it didn't taste like hyd fluid or engine oil (dabbed a bit on his finger trick). I asked him if he liked curry on his rice. Then I told him what it was. Threw ladder at me. I laughed.

AH1,

Classic story! Thanks for sharing. You've got to appreciate the engineer's dedication...especially if he still does the taste test! lol.

Cheers,

CHL

OK, two stories about wire strikes and with good endings.

Way back, during the start of the last recession, 1981, I was working for Apex, and we had a heli base in Uranium City. It was some cleared land with a bed of gravel, beside the road on the edge of town. Apex had won the Polar shelf contract, and we had a 206 to launch from U-city. The machine was loaded up, pilot and engineer on board and because it was most likely over gross the pilot had to taxi out on to the road and commence his take off. Because of his weight he was slow to gain altitude, and at the last second saw the wire crossing in front of him and flaired like f*ck, and actually bounced off the wire with the bottom of the skids, and kept on flying out of there. True storey, Paul Spring can verify.

Not a year later, somewhere in deepest darkest Sask., a pilot with a 206L from a small operator out of Edmonton with a chequered board tail fin, was jackin around, trying to impress a crowd with some low flying, and snagged a wire, wrapping it around the push/pull tubes between the swashplate and head. There was a picture of it in the TC accident/incident report, and it looked like a birds nest. Anyway, when the pilot phones the owner and explains what happened, the owners first response was, " It must have been dark" and the pilot says no, it was daylight, and the owner says, " no, it had to have been dark", and the pilot says no, it was daylight, why do you think it was dark.

The owner replys, " you had to have had your head so far up your a$$, there could not have been any daylight! " Another true storey.

Once upon a time.....In a camp on the Beaufort Sea, we had an apprentice AME who was out in the nearby harbour sumping the fuel on one of the helicopters sitting on the roof of our work barge. Once he had collected a certain amount of fuel he proceeded to pour it over the side into the harbour. Needless to say, even though this was many years ago, the proverbial stuff hit the fan as despite Greenpeace etc, we were environmentally sensitive. After having nether parts chewed severly he was made aware that tossing fuel into the water was a no no.

So, next day he poured the fuel down this nice pipe sticking out of the roof of the work barge, nothing was poured into the pristine waters of the Beaufort-just down the vent pipe for the barge's drinking water :rolleyes:

You all probably heard about this one...happened many years ago...pilot had a load of indiginuos canadians aboard ...taking off through a gas station parking lot up north...usually stuff...didn't see the wire running across to the pumps...hits the wire with the pitch change rods on the jetbox..hears a loud bang...lands at the far side of the lot...passengers bailed so fast he didn't know where or how they got out of the machine...never to be see from again...he tries to idle the engine back and the right skid would start to lift off the ground....so full throttle and bang..the skid would slam back on the ground....after two or three attempts...finally said what the hey...if she is going to roll over...keep your head down...snaps throttle right off...skids starts to go up...just about rolls over than slams back on the ground....turns out when he hit the wire,one pitch rod broke right off the swashplate and got flung into oblivion...with horseshoes up the yingyang he got this thing on the ground...the clevis that was still attached to the swashplate dug a swath through the doghouse...busted up the particle sep...but did not go through the motor....so...you can fly a jetbox with only one pitch rod attached...not reccommended though :shock: :blink: ...oh I did know the pilot as I am sure a lot of you do....go get a 649 ticket buddy

Heard this from another pilot years back when bear spray was just making it’s way into the market

(I believe it was previously used only by police services and known as MACE)

Couple of city slicker 2nd year engineering students dropped off on the top of a bluff in the mountains to do some basic surveys. Pilot lands and the passengers get out, grab their stuff out of the baggage compartment, and give the thumbs up. Pilot takes off and does the ritual “all OK ? “ fly-by only to notice that one guy is rolling on the ground, and the other guy is stumbling around. He quickly lands and finds out that the students had sprayed themselves with the bear spray, using it in the same way one would use mosquito repellent !!

Thanks to all thos gentlemen who depite the mud-slingin just post their story's

Yeah and by the way you all got it rigth ... English ? what is that ? my 3rd or maybe 4th language...

sorry you may try some of them too ... makes it way easyer to travel the world ...

or do you speek NATIVE CANADIAN ? smile ....

no ofence to anybody i just thought it's funny

HB. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Well I got a few. Here's one.

Working for the UN in Cambodia in 92 on a 212. I sadly flew the body of a dead soldier killed in a firefight with the Khmer Rouge back to Phnom Pehn. He had been packed in ice for the trip in a large crate.

It being hot out of course there was water all over the floor by the time we arrived.

One of the engineers sees the water running out of a drain and before I can stop him gives it a sniff and then a lick and declares it to be just water.

He was not overjoyed to find out the truth to say the least.