Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Oh Really!

Just got an PM that I hit the nail on the head. :huh: I guess they are trying to get a work permit approved. There is a requirement to advertise. The best way to get er done is to make job requirements fit a predetermined individual. Or maybe not.

Apparently the guy that runs the joint is really cheap! So there is no way the wages are even close to top dollar. :rolleyes:

Would be curious to see which genious gets the job. No more sucking sounds please :shock:

HF

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know nothing about the development of the Bell 214ST, so I can't speak about it at all, other than to state that the Model took 4 very good friends of mine to their deaths here in Canada.....one accident off Newfoundland and the other north of Edmonton.

At no time did I state, infer ot suggest that anyone, anywhere, in any army, dropped a -13 into any UH-1 A or B. It would have been a great idea though because my first engines in one was 960 'screaming' HP and part of the ship was made of magnesium. Now strap your butt into that s.o.b. at 90% RH, 90F and having to exit out of some confined area. If you caught fire for any reason the magnesium ensured that you got to be a 'crispy-critter'........real fast. I also never stated anywhere that the 214A or B was a 'carbon-copy' of the Huey "Tug". The "Tug" was basically the UH-1H with the Cobra M/R and trans. The T/R was switched over the opposite side, the tailboom was still the UH-1B tailboom as all of the first ones were. It's fuel burn wasn'r cared about because they wanted something to sling heavy loads short distances and they weren't paying for the fuel. They didn't care about speed either because they had the necessary speed for slinging already. They ran into a host of problems also because amongst many, the hydraulic servos gave them nothing but grief. They attempted to hy-jack the ones from the UH-1B or E, but to no avail. It was still the same eons later when many an engineer I flew with was still bemoaning the fact that the servos on the 204 were much better than those on the 205 in many ways.

The "Tug" ended up being considered enough of a likeness by the FAA that they shot the idea down when the moment came that Bell did present it to them.....and told them to "go back to the drawing boards and start at the beginning". That's a matter personal experience and recorded fact at Bell and with the US Army. Every single Tech Rep at Bell who was in 'Nam at the time knew exactly where the IDEA of the 214 had come from.

Just got an PM that I hit the nail on the head. :huh: I guess they are trying to get a work permit approved. There is a requirement to advertise. The best way to get er done is to make job requirements fit a predetermined individual. Or maybe not.

Apparently the guy that runs the joint is really cheap! So there is no way the wages are even close to top dollar. :rolleyes:

Would be curious to see which genious gets the job. No more sucking sounds please :shock:

HF

WTF are you talking about???

Yeah but does he have a degree? LOL! "At least that way he's whining in an educated sort of way! " That's an exact quote from my brother who has 2 (two) degrees and is a successful oilpatch geologist. His paperwork got him the same rights that mine did....namely the right to ask for a job. The rest was earned!

I know nothing about the development of the Bell 214ST, so I can't speak about it at all, other than to state that the Model took 4 very good friends of mine to their deaths here in Canada.....one accident off Newfoundland and the other north of Edmonton.

At no time did I state, infer ot suggest that anyone, anywhere, in any army, dropped a -13 into any UH-1 A or B. It would have been a great idea though because my first engines in one was 960 'screaming' HP and part of the ship was made of magnesium. Now strap your butt into that s.o.b. at 90% RH, 90F and having to exit out of some confined area. If you caught fire for any reason the magnesium ensured that you got to be a 'crispy-critter'........real fast. I also never stated anywhere that the 214A or B was a 'carbon-copy' of the Huey "Tug". The "Tug" was basically the UH-1H with the Cobra M/R and trans. The T/R was switched over the opposite side, the tailboom was still the UH-1B tailboom as all of the first ones were. It's fuel burn wasn'r cared about because they wanted something to sling heavy loads short distances and they weren't paying for the fuel. They didn't care about speed either because they had the necessary speed for slinging already. They ran into a host of problems also because amongst many, the hydraulic servos gave them nothing but grief. They attempted to hy-jack the ones from the UH-1B or E, but to no avail. It was still the same eons later when many an engineer I flew with was still bemoaning the fact that the servos on the 204 were much better than those on the 205 in many ways.

The "Tug" ended up being considered enough of a likeness by the FAA that they shot the idea down when the moment came that Bell did present it to them.....and told them to "go back to the drawing boards and start at the beginning". That's a matter personal experience and recorded fact at Bell and with the US Army. Every single Tech Rep at Bell who was in 'Nam at the time knew exactly where the IDEA of the 214 had come from.

I did the factory acceptance on the ST Don & Mike died in.

I took the same a/c on a 3 month Bell demo trip through South America.

And we indeed have some stories to tell about that trip!

And I knew the captain on the other one.

Anyway, +1 on the story.

And especially, +1 on the 204 servo thing!!!! They have never been built sweeter flight controls!

old dog

Thanks.....and on a personal note:

1) If you did a tour that long in the same ST that Don and Mike died in then I'll just consider you one lucky guy and also like to know the thoughts then that ran through your head upon hearing of their demise in the same a/c.

2) The Captain of that ST that went down off Newfoundland was my Engineer for a long time before the company trained and sent him flying. He was also the step-father to my oldest daughter and he's still sorely missed around these quarters.

post-33-1229293723_thumb.jpg

I have had the pleasure of flying with several fine Iranian pilots in my past. For the most part they were former Iranian Air Force, who, during the war with Iraq flew the CH-47, or what we in Canada would call the Chinook.

That is what is in this picture, Ch-47,s.

We tend to dwell on the 214B,s that went over there, but the 47,s were used in the war against Iraq, and if you could get any of those fine gentlemen talking, the stories would literelly keep me up at night.