Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Oh Really!

a moderator should step in and clean this up as we clearly have two topics at hand now.

**** lets make it 3.

Cap and Old Dog, I've heard different versions of the twin 214st incidents over the years and have always wondered what the whole (true) story was. Without meaning any disrespect to the 4 lost, are there any details you would feel comfortable sharing?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 214ST lost into the Newfoundland coastal waters I know nothing about the cause except that they still had not raised the a/c from those waters many weeks afterwards and it might still be there for all I know.

The 214ST that crashed north of Edmonton was Captained by Okanagan's CP and the accident was caused by the M/R blades flexing downwards for some reason and shortening the tailboom.

Apologies to all concerned concerning this digression and any further discussion concerning the above subject will take place via PM. Again......apologies.

The 214ST lost into the Newfoundland coastal waters I know nothing about the cause except that they still had not raised the a/c from those waters many weeks afterwards and it might still be there for all I know. Never wished to enquire further....and still don't.

The 214ST that crashed north of Edmonton was Captained by Okanagan's CP and the accident was caused by the M/R blades flexing downwards for some reason and shortening the tailboom. Not interested in the further details of that one either except to share that I took a week off after that one because it would have distracted from the flying which was supposed to be changing 500KV insulators at the time and I needed to focus.

Apologies to all concerned concerning this digression and any further discussion concerning the above subject will take place via PM. Again......apologies.

Taco Bell -----"feel comfortable sharing?" Not a chance bud. Death has come to visit me for more than my share over time and I haven't found a word to describe my feelings or how I handle it except I'm 'more comfortable' concerning it now than many years ago. Wasn't insulted or annoyed by your question either, so don't think about apologizing.

Ok, here we go another rejected candiadte for the Job at the NHL, which I am startuing to believe stands for National Hosers Limited. So I recieved this PM But its seems we have landed a whale of tale with this one. Looking for a low time guy or trying to subvert the Canadian immigration laws to get permits through. SHAME I say SHAME.

"Hello Happyfeet,

I would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself as low time Canadian pilot. I would also like to make it perfectly clear that I don't know you or the folks at NHL.

I've been following the NHL thread and your postings, you nailed it, and called it as it is. I too responded to the employment ad with 700 hrs on Bell 206. I also have a college diploma.

The response I got back was within 30 minutes. "We require min 1000 hrs. of PIC time on Bell 407". So I obviously didn't read the ad correctly? Subsequent posts by Flybell state that it's an excellent opportunity for a lower type pilot to gain valuable experience. Oh really?

While so many people in the industry bury thier collective heads in the sand and feel that placing what ever requirements they feel would suit them or the person they wish to sponsor as justifiable I would like to commend you on calling them out on it and raising awareness to the fact that the ads are totally self serving. In the end they will hire whomever they are trying to hire, and fulfill the HRDC reqirement to post. Too bad there aren't any qualified Canadians. Just want you to know some of us get it and are behind you 100%.

Seasons Greetings,

Sincerely pissed off.

My absoulte pleasure, Sincerely pissed off and as for this company, what I have learned in my 24 years is that that of all the companies out there there are but a handfull that are worth working for. The rest ...well for fear of being told to go find my inner child :rolleyes: .suck big time. .. If you where looking for an industry brimming over with honorable forthright folks..and high standards of professionalism you would do better to look elsewhere. But if you are a person who can take it on the chin over and over again, and are able to live in a state of willfull rejection of the truth.. you are good to go.. Sad I know! but very true. I guess it all depends on how much you love to fly and what you are willing to put up with to live that dream. Maybe this HEPAC body when it shakes its self loose and gets going will among other things bring in some mamangement minimun standards, but untill then its every hillbilly for himself. :shock: :lol:

Best of luck

Happy feet!

**** lets make it 3.

Cap and Old Dog, I've heard different versions of the twin 214st incidents over the years and have always wondered what the whole (true) story was. Without meaning any disrespect to the 4 lost, are there any details you would feel comfortable sharing?

Will all due respect, I would rather pass on this one.

Don & Mike were very dear friends of mine, and discussing the details won't change anything.

The 214ST lost into the Newfoundland coastal waters I know nothing about the cause except that they still had not raised the a/c from those waters many weeks afterwards and it might still be there for all I know.

The 214ST that crashed north of Edmonton was Captained by Okanagan's CP and the accident was caused by the M/R blades flexing downwards for some reason and shortening the tailboom.

I would like to add my apologies for the digression as well.

Oh for the love of God...get over it! If you don't like the way things are then by all means go and put your *** out and get your own machine...then SELL IT! NOBODY, and and I sincerly mean this, who has put his *** on the line to create and operate a helicopter company owes anybody anything. And that goes for any other buisiness whether or not you work at 7-11 or the next up and coming oil/gas industry.

Just like alot of other people in this industry I got lucky, but the work never ends. Yes, we are "Professional", and yes we as a whole are committed, and ultimately we all have mouths to feed. But here are the cold, cruel hard facts...unless you back yourself, you answer to the man that did that very thing; and that would include me! I own the world, and answer accordingly, when flyiing an aircraft...but once I'm down and clear, I answer to the Company.

A Degree, or for that matter a CPL (H) is merely an opening, or right if you will, to ASK for a job. And that's it!

It's an old saying but it hits hard and rings true...Life ain't fair. If it was I'd be rich, and there would be far better men than I, flying iron to this day that otherwise aren't, as Cap is so faithful to remind us once in a while!

Rant over...back to the 214 story. Considering I actually have an endorsement on the **** thing I find it quite interesting.....oh Shite, scrap that...somebody might get the bold idea that just cause I shot a couple autos, or took off accidentally without the SCAS activated (bit wobbly!), that I just might be qualified to operate the **** thing with 8000 lbs under the belly....not that that would be legal weight anyways even though the hook is good for it.! Oh Crap! :shock: ...there I go starting a whole new thread in between 2 others already in progress.

Rant over....REALLY

Merry Chistmas