Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tips For Winter Ops

Well its been a while, but on an Astar, put a buddy heater tilted down on the Mo1, then another on the trany deck pointed at oil tank. If you don't have a built in heater of for the battery, pull'er out an keeper in the warm over night. You can always throw a heater in the cabin too.

Short of that find a hanger, and good advice about the blade e covers, make sure they are dry when you putem on or they will stick.

No use for heater were I 'm at now, but must say the idea of some cooler weather would be nice.

HF

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're gonna bring your winter kit inside then make sure it dries out completely otherwise leave it outside so it stays frozen.

Check and test your gear before leaving a base. Bring extras, especially extension cords, you'll always need more then you think.

Head home early cause any problems will cause you to spend a very uncomfortable night if it's really cold.

Wear what you want to have with you in a crash and assume everything else will burn or be destroyed. Keep a lighter, touque, mitts, granola bars etc in your pockets.

It'll be 30C on the plus side when I go back to work next week. Any tips for staying cool?

Quoting FREDDIE "Heard one the other day don't know if it is true but do not use a tiger torch to de-ice blades they don' fly to well after."

hey freddie , the tiger torch story is true around 1998 arial recon R44. I helped change the blades

:shock:

Heard a similar story but it was a guy flying a 206 for a company with a less than favourable paint scheme/colour.

Also, I agree with other posts. Dress like you might be out there for a while. If passengers want to take their coats off and get 'comfy' then they've got the wrong idea. Let em know. Politely.

And even if you're not a smoker, keep a lighter in your pocket (one closest to you body heat), it's way more handy than you might think.

Curious about the value of window covers, de-icing techniques in the bush, overnight storage outside, first take-off of the day (skids frozen to the ground) etc., landing in a "snow ball" and any other wisdom engineers and pilots might have to pass along. Thanks. L3

Good day L3 driver.

i herd story about a "snow Man" throwing snow balls so watch out up there.

ha ah!

cheers

E.

Guest plumber
If you're gonna bring your winter kit inside then make sure it dries out completely otherwise leave it outside so it stays frozen.

Check and test your gear before leaving a base. Bring extras, especially extension cords, you'll always need more then you think.

Head home early cause any problems will cause you to spend a very uncomfortable night if it's really cold.

Wear what you want to have with you in a crash and assume everything else will burn or be destroyed. Keep a lighter, touque, mitts, granola bars etc in your pockets.

It'll be 30C on the plus side when I go back to work next week. Any tips for staying cool?

Yeh I got a way for you too stay cool, How about a big frosty mug of shut the h@#l up! :P

One thing to note about blade covers... They are not all created equally.

What I said about putting your blade covers on if you suspect wet freezing, melting refreezing, or freezing rain is very true. IF you have water proof blade covers.

I have frequently been stuck with those garbage nylon socks that are not water proof with past companies... I really don't know what those things are supposed to be for but they are of no use whatsoever on a helicopter in the winter.

The good blade socks will be fairly heavy duty and thick with a water proof membrane. The stiffer they are, the easier it is to get them on especially in a wind.

On the 205's we had these thick black blade covers made from a water proof tarp material. Sometimes you are forced to put them on when a heavy wet snow is falling and it is unavoidable that the blades will be wet inside the socks and freeze on. For that situation, our covers were velcroed closed at the outer ends so you could open them up and use the herman nelson to blast hot air up the blade towards the grips and melt the ice off... Also worked great if you got surprised with freezing rain over night and had to de-ice. Put the covers on and melt the ice in ten minutes.

Another thing to note about being frozen down to your overnight pad. With the smaller machines I would always include breaking the skids free in my morning D.I.

This wasn't really possible on a 205 so I would just increase power slightly and do a little tail wiggle to make the machine shift a small amount to make sure both skids are free before trying to lift off. It was also very helpful to think ahead with the bigger machines and avoid parking in wet mud or slush that might freeze over night. Putting a log or board across to land your paws on helps too.