Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

B214st

Guest jacdor

The ST was mentioned in a earlier post ( i am not going to name it, it will restart the whole thing again) and what happened to the 2 OKY machines in the 80"s

I have been flying the ST for a while and at the beginning I did some asking around to find out what could have been the problem(s) with the aircrafts or what came out of the investigation.

Nobody seems to know much about it, excepted for rumors about this and that.

The point being that "you don't want to make the same mistakes IF mistakes it was, or mechanical mistakes and again IF mistakes it was from the maintenance side of it"

Could have been in the design itself who knows, but again since I am flying the thing it would be nice to find out what could have been the problem and stay away from it.

And Zazu you are right it is kind of wobbly without the SCAS on, you are being reminded darn quick that you forgot about it, also the hook is certified for 7900 lbs why not 8000 lbs I don't know.

Anyway, just want to know, find out, might make my near future a little bit safer if I knew what happened to the poor guys.

Just forgot to sign

Jacques

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but from what I remember hearing the aicraft was on a training flight and during scenarios of simulated failures, they turned both inverters 'off'. After that, both hydraulic switches were selected 'off' and the aircraft began to fly in whichever direction the flight controls were last positioned as the aircraft is not considered flyable without hydraulics. Now here I can't remember which way it went if it was the hydraulics that were turned back on first or if it was the inverters but either way, the AFCS gyro was not in the same place it had left the hydraulic system at so as the gyro re-energized it instantly repositioned the rotorhead to where the AFCS thought it should be relative to the fuselage and it broke the mast off or caused the m/r blade to contact the tailboom or something devestating along those lines... The second aircraft attempted to duplicate the scenario and unfortunately did it perfectly. I'm not sure about the ST but I imagine if it is like the B, you select hyd. sys. #1 off and then if you try and shut off #2, the #1 system will automatically come back on line. It is meant to be a fail safe system so you can never have both systems selected off at the same time. As a side note Jacques, your old co worker, Bruce S. will forever be my hero for landing a B model successfully following a dual hydraulic failure while logging. Bell didn't write a procedure for how to do it but Bruce managed to muscle his way through it. Kudos to Bruce.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but from what I remember hearing the aicraft was on a training flight and during scenarios of simulated failures, they turned both inverters 'off'. After that, both hydraulic switches were selected 'off' and the aircraft began to fly in whichever direction the flight controls were last positioned as the aircraft is not considered flyable without hydraulics. Now here I can't remember which way it went if it was the hydraulics that were turned back on first or if it was the inverters but either way, the AFCS gyro was not in the same place it had left the hydraulic system at so as the gyro re-energized it instantly repositioned the rotorhead to where the AFCS thought it should be relative to the fuselage and it broke the mast off or caused the m/r blade to contact the tailboom or something devestating along those lines... The second aircraft attempted to duplicate the scenario and unfortunately did it perfectly. I'm not sure about the ST but I imagine if it is like the B, you select hyd. sys. #1 off and then if you try and shut off #2, the #1 system will automatically come back on line. It is meant to be a fail safe system so you can never have both systems selected off at the same time. As a side note Jacques, your old co worker, Bruce S. will forever be my hero for landing a B model successfully following a dual hydraulic failure while logging. Bell didn't write a procedure for how to do it but Bruce managed to muscle his way through it. Kudos to Bruce.

Completely and absolutely wrong!

What??? You mean Bruce S. didn't actually make a safe landing in a 214B after experiencing a dual hydraulic failure? I'll have to let him know next time I see him as I think he believes he did land safely after a dual hydraulic failure. Well not completely safe. I guess there was some cowshit that sprayed up onto the belly of the aircraft and had to be removed afterwards but otherwise all ended well!

What??? You mean Bruce S. didn't actually make a safe landing in a 214B after experiencing a dual hydraulic failure? I'll have to let him know next time I see him as I think he believes he did land safely after a dual hydraulic failure. Well not completely safe. I guess there was some cowshit that sprayed up onto the belly of the aircraft and had to be removed afterwards but otherwise all ended well!

Don't disagree at all about the B hydraulic story.

I was referring only to the ST stuff.

old dog, that was pretty much the story relayed to me years ago when I worked on B models and since they were similar in many of the flight controls, we all tried hard to learn from everyones previous experiences with either type just as jacdor is trying to do here. I don't have much to do with 214's anymore so if there is a lessom for someone out there, feel free to share.