Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

B214st

Guest jacdor

Whether factual or not, I remember at the time of the western crash, that something was said about inverters being taken off-line. Whether it was company speculation at the time or something official, I do not remember. I guess it still sits in my memory cells to this day because I remember my immediate thoughts at the time and I said "God no!". Those thoughts took me back to Mineral Wells, TX with the US Army because that was where you got posted for Vertol/Chinook courses and check-outs in those days. Number one thing that you were told about both a/c was that you NEVER took both inverters 'off-line' at the same time for ANY reason. If you did, the a/c would IMMEDIATELY go into extremely severe vibrations and the blades would proceed to eat the fuselage in large chunks. Knew the reason for that also, but they're part of my dead memory cells now. Related same to an ex-CAF Vertol Flight Engineer eons ago and he was more than quite familiar with that for some reason.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

old dog, that was pretty much the story relayed to me years ago when I worked on B models and since they were similar in many of the flight controls, we all tried hard to learn from everyones previous experiences with either type just as jacdor is trying to do here. I don't have much to do with 214's anymore so if there is a lessom for someone out there, feel free to share.

My thoughts there Vortex just trying to find out something about the aircraft, don't want to end up in the same situation and not know what to do about it.

Your right about the hydraulics on the ST, can't turn both of them off at the same time.

Also heard about the story of turning all electrical off to see what would happened.

It's been a while since I did the course but I will have a look at the AC system again and see what the inverters are connected to.

The other rumor was the "fly by Wire" that could Have gone awry and pitching the tail up or given it a roll and they may have tried to compensate for that and hit the tail boom with the blades or something like that

I know for a fact that the FBW is a problem so I keep it off and stowed when working or on short flights. Your limited to 100kts without it.

Makes you wonder what Bell Heli was thinking when they designed the electrical system on that aircraft

Elvis I tried the link you gave me but nothing comes out of it I will try again

Jacques

Can't do any better with the format. This an article that I have found when I was looking for Infos on the 214ST accident a while back. Took me a while to find it back.

They do talk about a possible electrical problem.

Article dated 1989

Jacques

CASB wants wider flight recorder rule

MONTREAL

The Canadian Aviation

Safety Board (CASB) intends

to recommend that Transport

Canada extend requirements

for flight-data recorders to

ease accident investigation.

The more stringent and

broadly based regulations to

be proposed would cover both

aircraft and helicopters, the

CASB says.

The subject appears in the

CASB report of a Bell 214ST

accident investigation in

Newfoundland in 1985. CASB

investigators failed to determine

cause-related findings,

even though all the major

components of the machine

were recovered.

Moreover, a second Bell

214ST crashed, killing its

GENERAL AVIATION

crew, during a series of

operator's flight tests

intended to duplicate the

suspected flight conditions of

the first helicopter. "If the

[first] aircraft had been

equipped with a cockpit voice

recorder (CVR) and or flightdata

recorder (FDR), the

evidence needed to support

cause-related findings might

have been uncovered," says

the CASB. The second accident

"may thereby have been

avoided".

The crew of the second helicopter

intended to document

helicopter and systems

response to simulated electrical

malfunctions. The CASB

says that investigators found

no evidence that an electrical

failure led to the first accident.

According to Paul

Powers, Bell director of flight

safety and certification, the

electrical system was virtually

exonerated after laborious

tests by Bell and the CASB.

Powers says that the lack of

a flight recorder hampered

efforts to find a cause. Neither

a CVR or FDR is required by

Canadian regulations for

offshore helicopters.

well, the general concensus is to wait for the TSB results in todays accidents and to stop the speculation. After all, they do have access to alot more resources than the average joe.

We could ask you where you fit into the picture having more experience than TSB investigating 214 crashes and causes, but that would ultimately turn into a pissing contest.

Bottom line is....none of us were there on either of those aircraft, so even if you think your version is more accurate than TSB's....you're just speculating.

Found this to add into the discussion: http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...20-%200408.html

whatever

• 1 month later...