Another Winter Question....

Truth be told, I got my composite safety blah blah blah Sorels a size too big and put in an extra footbed and wear an extra pair of thick socks. Insulation is the key!!!

If yer feet are froze who give's a rats a*ss about composite or steel toes?!

Dick

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been rolin' and pushin' 45 gal druns containing all manner of fluids for a little less than 50 years now and to date I have no crushed toes of boots or feet. Luck maybe? Not after the number of drums that I've moved by hand over that period of time. I also use my head though for something other than just another place to hang my hat and I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer either.

Footwear in the Arctic for me? The wearing of ALL footwear begins with baby powder sprinkled liberally on both feet to obsorb any sweat from my feet. Next comes a pair of my wife's nylon ladies' sockettes. THEN comes the pair of whatever kind of normal socks that I choose. Son also wore the same inside his skates as a kid and played hockey many times in -30F temps outside for anywhere up to 4 hours without freezing his feet and in comfort. Bottom line is that it is WHAT you wear and not HOW MUCH you wear that is the most important in cold climes.

Ditto for me with regards to the comments made about the warmth of sealskin mukluks. When I had to wear rubbers over them, then I considered it too warm for them and wore something else. :lol:

L3driver -------I didn't role drums for a living. If I did, I would've worn the best pair of steel-toed footwear available......regardless what my company said. Ditto if I worked in a bakery around moving machinery. I also never mowed lawns for a living either and don't wear a hard hat or steel-toed boots for that when I use my John Deere mowing deck. There is also a difference between scratching your butt and tearin' the H*ll out of it. :lol:

The point being made about safety is duly noted, but if you are rolling 401 lb objects and you aren't paying 100% attention to what you are doing, then you're going to get injured no matter what kind of boots or headgear you're wearing.

My apologies if the following info has been provided already, but I'm too lazy to sift through 4 pages of lengthy replies ;)

http://www.bunnyboots.com/bunnyboot/faq.html#1

http://store.colemans.com/cart/extreme-col...sued-p-748.html

http://store.colemans.com/cart/extreme-col...sued-p-751.html

As for clothing, most of the guys I work with (including myself now) have purchased Cabela's Trans-Alaska Elite Trail suit. It's pricey, but when you're sitting around in -40C (possibly with a busted Casey Heater??) then it's worth every penny! And they just happen to be on sale for $50 Off!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...rset=ISO-8859-1

Well, if that suit has NOMEX in it, then that gives you a total of SIX seconds to escape danger. Also to be noted is that the more you wash/clean that NOMEX flight suit, that total of SIX seconds starts ot fade gradually as it ages. Proper NOMEX (for the season) underwear together WITH NOMEX outerwear gives added protection to the SIX seconds plus.

Where did the figure of 6 seconds come from anyway? Tests done by NOMEX with the US Military some years ago.

Yup, I agree, ya gotta go with these puppies.

And I can say this after 8000 hrs of year round operations in the Beaufort and high Arctic.

Still got mine, too. They are a bit scruffy, but they are the same ones I started with.

And no batteries, Hot Sticks, or whatever.

Trick: Always carry two sets of liners and two sets of mesh inserts - that's it!

Then alternate them each day. This is especially important when doing long duty days.

And you will have toasty toes to -50C and more.

Finally, they are easy to fly with on the 212, 61 and 76, but I don't know about the other types.

Billy Hill and old dog nailed it as far as I'm concerned. Still got mine along with the extra liners and spare screens. Don't ever remember having cold feet in the Beaufort. Unlike the Sorels though they won't tolerate anything wet as they have a very limited upper rubber sole. But then when is it "wet" in the winter in that part of the world. Don't miss it a whole bunch.