Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Work Permit Freeze

I'm an engineer, born in Canada. I need pilots to fly/ screw up the machine so I have something to do and get paid. I live and work in the northern oil fields. Most pilots do not want to venture up here. I've seen the resumes every month and there ain't a boat load of Canadians beating down the door to come up here. In the long run this freeze is going to put a freeze on my check, and I'm Canadian. So it's help a Canadian pilot to screw over a Canadian engineer? I'm all on board for nationalism, until you screw with my bottom line. What about all the company time and trust we've invested in these valued employees who've helped us build a reputation?

Why would the helicopter stop flying and not get broken if Canadian was flying it?

:up: :shock: I'm Canadian and...... I can break things! :shock: :up:

:rolleyes:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we have the likes of Daz over in the training forums being subjected to the childish behaviour on here.

Oh, don't worry 'bout me :D

I *am* new to this industry, but I spent 18 years in the ski bidness. Amazing how a hut full of patrollers can sound like pilots - just change up the subject matter. ;)

There are valid points to both sides of this thread, even if they are sometimes expressed in a colourful manner. I've been on the other side of the coin; I spent a couple seasons each at ski hills in Australia and New Zealand via a sponsored work permit - not a working holiday visa - so I'd be a hypocrite to decry the issuing of work permits. I also have many close friends from overseas who came to work here on said permits.

But, I'm fresh out of school, with a commercial license that is *checks paperwork* exactly three days old - you can bet I'm looking for any opportunity!

But, I don't expect opportunity to be presented to me - I need to create it myself by working for it. This means keeping an excellent work ethic, a keen attitude, and a lifelong willingness to learn stuff. Fortunately, it's not a stretch for me to maintain that - I enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done (but I'll work to do it better next time), I love learning new things, and I'm generally a pretty amiable dude no matter what the circumstances.

If I'm not finding work, it's likely 'cause I'm lacking, not 'cause some 'furriner' took my job. Sure, cutting work permits *may* open up a door or two, but in the end it's what I have to offer that will get me in that door.

Besides, someday I'd love to be able to work overseas for a few months - In Aussie or NZ actually - so again, I can't really moan to much about work permits :lol:

Why would the helicopter stop flying and not get broken if Canadian was flying it?

:up: :shock: I'm Canadian and...... I can break things! :shock: :up:

:rolleyes:

That's all well and good, but unless you're willing to live and work north of the 56th parallel you are of no particular use to me.

Good post R22Captain!!

Just because a person has many years in this business doesn't necessarily make him smart or professional. Some so called "Professionals" have scared the living bejeez out of me over the years!! Older folks (myself included) tend to hold up their years in the business as a kind of "flag of privelege". Well, the reality is there is a LOT of young folks that are coming up in the industry that have impressed the H=ll out of me with their work ethic and professionalism (yourself included) Us "older" folks can learn a lot from them, as they can from us. The big "Operations Manager" in the sky gave us two ears and one mouth for a very good reason.

I just don't understand some peoples attitude toward Quebecers. I have worked many times in Quebec and with Francophone's outside of Quebec and have always had a positive experience with them. The fastest way to a Francophones heart I have found is to at least TRY to speak French to them!! Good folks!! Same apply's to the Kiwis, Aussies and other nationalities in this country

Rant is over, Adios

I have to agree. I found myself in Montreal last year asking directions from someone in bad French and we were both about 30 seconds into the conversation before we both realized we were both Anglo's. :lol:

It's all about respect. I have traveled the world and spent time in places like Iran and Iraq where we are supposed to be hated. But I had a spectacular experience and got nothing but friendship and respect. Which is what I gave.

I also never have a problem in France.

Try to be polite in the local language and respect the local culture and all doors will open.

That's all well and good, but unless you're willing to live and work north of the 56th parallel you are of no particular use to me.

No problem for me up north, prefer it that way.Knuckles, did it ever occur to you that there are Canadians that "must work" who cares where the job is work is work!

HF <_<

Hey Daz!

Was that an opinion or were you making a sales pitch?

Just pullin' yer leg; good job at both. Good luck in the job search!

Dick

Whatever do you mean?

Uh-oh! They're on to me...

:D:lol:

No problem for me up north, prefer it that way.Knuckles, did it ever occur to you that there are Canadians that "must work" who cares where the job is work is work!

HF <_<

I keep hearing you talk about them, but I don't see them up here. I don't even see an interest. Oh, one guy PM'd me and I gave him a list of companies, all who hire, but have usually received nothing but bad press on these forums, yet we are full of happy aussie/ kiwi/ etc. pilots and semi happy canadian engineers, i'd say happy engineers, but we're never really happy while sober.

I keep hearing you talk about them, but I don't see them up here. I don't even see an interest. Oh, one guy PM'd me and I gave him a list of companies, all who hire, but have usually received nothing but bad press on these forums, yet we are full of happy aussie/ kiwi/ etc. pilots and semi happy Canadian engineers, i'd say happy engineers, but we're never really happy while sober.

I'll take that PM too. Thanks. :)

Being unemployed and all.!