Work Permit Freeze

Trex

Ok so you say there is Ems work in the states. Sure if you have a green card. Good luck on that one. As for the under 30 thing and it is 30 not 35. Most of the guys I know who are sitting are over 35 so i guess thats hard cheese for them. What i do know is that the compliants were made against specific companies, and that the freeze may infact be directly with concern to the Heli industry.

Nobody hates the down unders but as it is an any other country you must be a citizen. But for all puroses and to be fair please prov ide me with a list here under this post of companies down under that are hiring Canadians right now. Thanks! see to it that several guys I know who are looking for work get going on it. Waiting with baited breath.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to an old friend yesterday, who still works in the United Arab Emerites, and he was saying that they have passed a new law that will allow the government to start taxing income of all foreign workers.

The law is to come into effect soon, and will start with a 15% flat tax, and will be reviewed annually.

Apparently, with the global recession foreign workers are considerably easier to hire, and they felt that it was an opportune time to implement this new tax, even though it has been considered in the past.

They also felt that with the price of oil and gas so low, they need to start providing more jobs for the nationals, so they will be less dependant on the government for freebies, and this new tax will be applied to providing training and employment.

The real kicker is that they have targeted all the oil and gas sector as a number one priority, as it is considered a national interest Also, because the transportation of workers by, you guessed it, helicopters, is such a integral part of that sector, that the first and foremost plan will be to train up as many nationals as possible with this new money to replace as many foreign pilots as soon as possible.

Talks are happening with Abu Dhabi Aviation right now about how to fastrack as many nationals as possible, as they are getting paranoid about so many foreign workers so close to such important infrastructure, and the possibility of a terrorist type attack from a rouge pilot.

Gulf Helicopters in Qatar has been going down this road for several years now, training and employing as many nationals as possible, but with the advent of paying for it all with an income tax of foreign workers wages has put a new and dangerous spin on it all.

Stay tuned, as the shyte has only just hit the fan!. :unsure:

Guest Angry Egg Driver

I spoke with an owner of a company the other day.He told me that the majority of their crew last summer were Kiwis.I asked him if he was planning on re-hiring foreign pilots for the upcoming season and he said that he would only hire people from outside Canada if he couldnt fill the spots with Canadian drivers.If hope more operators start feeling this way in the near future.When you start seeing ads for pilots with over 10000 hrs looking for work you know that things arent good.There is a time and a place for foreign workers to be here and i dont think that its now.

There is no need, whatsoever, for Canadian operators to thumb their nose at young Canadian pilots by looking outside Canada for pilots to fly Canadian registered machines in Canada.

NONE....!

And the Canadian government needs to remove the temptation by closing that door once and for all.

It's too easy and tempting for an operator to make his minimum requirements beyond the reach of most of the new Canadian licence holders.

Just look at what Niagara tried to do in their most recent ad. They requested a University degree and if they couldn't find a Canadian lad with one then I guess they could bring one in from....oh, let me guess.....Switzerland ???

It's wrong and it needs to stop !

Rumour has it and it just 3rd hand info. but a bunch of guys wrote thier MP about the over abundance of down unders. I guess the message got to the decision makers. Given the current shortage of open positions perhaps our government is now working to fix the problem of out dated industry information. Didn't hear anything about french.

Good! Keep the letters coming if you think your job is safe from foreign workers you are just kidding yourself. I encourage all low timers too write their MLA's and M.P's. It is by the way your future you are the only ones who can help yourself.

it's business and it's sometimes ugly.

my only thoughts to those who continually whine about it...go sink your money into a fleet of machines and make your best of it with your values and ideals.

What goes around, comes around. Those operators have to do what it takes to survive, I agree. But the day will come when the low time pilot reaches this 1000 hrs. brought up earlier, and he or she will remember how they lost a job to someone Not Canadian.

I have no threat from ex-pats taking my job, but I do believe we should try as an industry and a country to help our own. If we can not fill these positions with Canadians, then bring in ex-pats to help and mentor. They are only suspose to work for a specific time period here in Canada, so we give them a job to help train a low time guy if it is possible.

just my thoughts,

Guest Angry Egg Driver
What goes around, comes around. Those operators have to do what it takes to survive, I agree. But the day will come when the low time pilot reaches this 1000 hrs. brought up earlier, and he or she will remember how they lost a job to someone Not Canadian.

I have no threat from ex-pats taking my job, but I do believe we should try as an industry and a country to help our own. If we can not fill these positions with Canadians, then bring in ex-pats to help and mentor. They are only suspose to work for a specific time period here in Canada, so we give them a job to help train a low time guy if it is possible.

just my thoughts,

Why bring in Ex Pats to mentor and train our up and coming pilots?Wouldnt it be better and cheaper if we trained and mentor them with our Canadian pilots?

Ok guys, I understand where you are coming from on the foreign pilots issue on some points. I am one my self, and have been working in Canada for 4 years full time, own property pay taxes and even have a Canadian girlfriend ( the women are free game) I was very disappointed this year to learn that 100 hr pilots from other countries not only OZ and NZ where coming over in droves to try find flying jobs and take them away from young Canadian pilots. That I do not agree with what so ever!

But in my travels throughout Canada I have noticed that the pilots that complain the most about foreign pilots are the ones that don't seem to cut it in aviation.

So does this rant about include all the guys and girls that come over for the ski season every year, the others that come over for forestry, oil and gas, hospitality??

Happy feet, why do you seem so bitter about this?

End of the day any pilot no matter where they are from has a right if suitably qualified and within the work permit or holiday visa guide lines to work anywhere . I welcome them to Australia as a Australian! There is C reg machines in OZ right now and they are always very welcome by this country. The Canadians that I have known to complain about trying to work in OZ did not want to do the conversion license, they just wanted the temp license so they could do the summer. Think of the revenue Canadian flight schools have made from this over the years.

I think some of you need to watch this video.

Cheers

O.B