Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Work Permit Freeze

Hi to all

I am new here and just been reading all this and it took me over 2 hours and some interesting and some....... i will leave it up to you guys to put in something.

I see that there is a movement to ban pilots from other countries since they are taking jobs from the Canadians.

One question is popping in my mind; where do you Canadians come from? My part is part Antigua and England. There is more in there to but......

So now we should give all the jobs to the natives? They are the real Canadians, all others are immigrants!

Just food for thought so we can keep the discussion going :-)

(What names will I be called now :unsure: )

The difference is CITIZENSHIP! We are all immigrants.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference is CITIZENSHIP! We are all immigrants.

So how come you are in UEA? Are you a citizen of UEA?

I saw on TV that they have to go to Europe to get qualified car mechanics.

I think you are bitter on the operators that take the risk of forming a company and hiring people.

Why don´t you start a company and hire only Canadians or is it to big risk for you?

I would never become an operator, been there, done that.

I just wanted to straighten one thing out that I left out .I have already done enough to move this forward.

There are some really good companies that do go out of their way to hire young Canadains and bring them up the ladder. There is one in High level, and one in southern Alberta and one in particular in Ontario. I won't name names but they know who they are. To the others that go out of thier way to pass up Canadians (SHAME). I would caution you to play by the rules because you are now being watched very carefully. It won't go away and the efffort will be intensified in the weeks and months to come.

I sincerely hope that other operators that think they can violate these rules pay attention to those companies that set an example.

Over and out!

HF

Hey fellas,This just in!

Dear ______________

Thank you for your email and for your interest in Bristow Helicopters Australia.

Unfortunately we do not recruit pilots from overseas unless they have previously worked for the Bristow Group.

I wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

Regards

Nicole

Nicole Vivoda

Operations HR Administrator

Bristow, Australia Operations

130 Fauntleroy Avenue

REDCLIFFE WA 6104

+61 8 9478 3388 - Switch

+61 8 9478 3844 - Fax

nicole.vivoda@bristowgroup.com

Well , Well! :down: Any of you andopodians care to explian the fairness in this?

And I'm the delusional one happyfeet?

Why do you think that I'm 'not happy' about what 'might' be happening? Getting alittle ahead of yourself aren't you? As I've said 3 times now, I'm in favour of a reduction in work permits. I expect it to happen given the times. And where exactly have I been 'blurting out profanity'? According to you it has something to do with my career.......have you not taken your medication or something?

What really annoys me and the reason for bothering to even respond to the rubbish being posted by you and a few others is the total misrepresentation of foreign pilots flying in your country. If you have a gripe with one or two of the smaller operators abusing the system then take it up with them.

The 'majority' of foreign pilots work for larger companies such as CHC, VIH, Airborne, Great Slave, Gemini, etc that traditionally have a greater demand for 'experienced' pilots. These companies;

PAY foreign pilots EXACTLY the same wages as Canadian pilots.

DO NOT give foreign pilots some mythical tax break.

We don't want to mislead readers for the sake of a good story now do we happy?

Good luck with the job hunting. You're going to need it mate!

Happydays.....you bet!

Happyfeet...they heard about your rantings and ravings on this site and made the right decision...just a wild stab in the dark.

Have a think about things for a minute before writing another biased response. Probably, Bristow do not accept CV's from international pilots given the lengthy and very expensive process in qualifying a pilot to fly the line in a S76 or a Puma. I applied for Heli-jet in Canada a couple years back and was knocked back for the same reason, but I did not feel the need to splash the details of the reply all over the web, and then question their decision for no good reason. At the end of the day, they (Helijet) would have been taking a massive risk on me. Weigh up training a foreign pilot on a temporary visa in a large machine who has no certainty of staying long-term and the associated $150-200,000 expense to bring you online versus someone who is a national and will most likely stay for a very long time, its an easy decision to make.

Compare this with a seaonal or full-time day VFR operation on something like say a 500 or an Astar and whilst there is a cost involved in training someone up, comparing this seasonal smaller outlay of say $5-10,000 to a full-timer at Bristow or Helijet and the policy makes sense. And besides, most pilots are already qualified on most types in Canada, reducing the expense. It does not mean you can't apply to fly in Canada or North America with Bristow. On that point, Bristow International employ a lot of local pilots and also a lot of international pilots to fly in various countries all around the world. It would take over 4-6 months to train you at Bristows versus a couple weeks for a day VFR job, if that. No comparison I am afraid.

And no, its not a matter of double standards, unlike someone we know who wants all Canadian jobs protected for low hour pilots mainly, yet its ok for Canadian pilots to work overseas as they please. There is still no acknowledgement on your behalf of this.

The other correction to make is that your suggestion of employers taking advantage of foreign workers, to my knowledge, is not a rule but perhaps a more isolated event. Most foreign pilots I knew made good to very good money and paid a lot of tax like everyone else. I don't think too many people I know of were poorly paid, but quite the contrary. Your argument seems to be to protect all Canadian jobs for low hour pilots and have them flying jobs that require far more experience then what they have. A few of your examples, with some after thought, appear to be more isolated then commonplace, though the way you have presented your argument makes it sounds like almost every operator in Canada is dispicable and exploitive of foreign labour whilst shunning locals. I think you would be best to actually ascertain whether or not what you are using as an example is actually common place, or indeed something less common, presented in a skewed way that bolsters your already weak argument in an exaggerated way.

I am not sure what outcome you hope to achieve with your contact with the canadian immigration department, but at the end of the day, whilst you might reduce the number of sponsored visa's you will not reduce the number of working holiday visas that are issued. And whilst you are declaring war on foreign pilots, I hope you are asking for the support of all of your fellow Canadian countrymen who are currently working offshore. It would be important to draw support from all of your troops from all corners of the globe to ensure more support for your new found crusade. And what happens when things turn around and the work overflows, but the local operators can't get the qualified pilots in to fly the machines? Have you thought about this industry changing crusade from the start to finish, with all the associated ramifications...good and bad? What about market dynamics with a rapidly contracting or expanding market?

As someone else suggested earlier, I think you might find that a lot of your peers, both at home and abroad, might not be thinking along the same lines of you and when you look at your dialogue on this subject, it looks pretty hypocritical (and pathetic) to have you taking action against foreign pilots in your own country, yet there are Canadians working all around the world. Any word for them on your behalf? Have you asked them to come home yet? I thought you might be asking them to reconsider abandoning the motherland and leaving the country in a lurch, hence the requirement for foreign pilots. I am surprised to hear you have not called for their heads upon their return.

As regards about this tax breaks we get, please let me know so I can claim them. I paid taxes like everyone else and the only claim I made back was work related expenses...just like everyone else. The only benefit financially was transferring money back into Australia. I also spent a lot of money in country, traveled around a lot and also put at least $5-6000 into a local flying school. How selfish of me?

Geez Farari Flyer

You are like talking to a teenager they just simply know everything! Despite resounding unequivical evidence to the contrary.

FYI I have 1200hrs PIC on the 76 and an ATPL. Go figure! I wasn't interested in going to work there I gatherd up the infor to prove the point.

Anyway, the facts are in its very difficult if not impossible for a Canadian to work for an Austraila company.

Please read my last post agian.!

I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Becoming very tiresome!

HF