Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Work Permit Freeze

And there in lies a lot of the problem.

No one has a "Right" to a job just because he has a piece of paper in his pocket, and is a citizen of the (insert appropriate country here).

If he/she can earn the position, (see previous threads - work habits, value, etc.) then get at it and do a good job.

NO ONE OWES YOU ANYTHING!

And if some flight school told you they did, then you are going to get screwed, again...

Actually a Canadian does have the legal right to gain employment in his country.

I am getting a little tired of this mentality that the company is doing you a big favor by letting you fly the helicopter. It's the other way around , without the pilot the company at best could operate only one helicopter.

I really don't know who spun this thing up but really, give me a break.!!!

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Scuba when you see an injustice in your country you just lie down and take it. Sounds typical to this industry.

I just hope the letters keep being sent to the MLA's and we'll see whose doing the whining in the end.

Times are slow and you've over stayed your welcome.

I imagine the only people who will be whining in the end will be the people without a job and still expecting it to be handed to them easy enough.

But I can see that shakey has the ability to become a good leader of the country - "you've over stayed your welcome" ???? Really, thats the best you can come up with. Talk about progression. Gives me a good laugh, but in the end, is sad, as its that mentality which keeps things in the dark ages. Like I said, the world aint big anymore, and we all gotta get used to sharing it. With your thinking and rational, should all Canadians be forced to leave whatever countries they are working in abroad?? Sit back and argue about the system, and you will get left behind.

Injustice?? Really? You think foreign workers being brought in with the skills to work in an industry is an injustice? I've said it before and I'll say it again its called economics and development. It reminds me of our neighbors to the South - everyone knows how much they wish they could kick all the Mexicans out. I would be very entertained to see that happen. Who will work in their fast food restaurants, cut their lawns, babysit their children, clean up after them. The simple fact is, you get rid of them, you will create a hole in the system, and if no one to fill the hole, everything else around it will start to collapse.

Write to the Govt and ask them why they legally bring in over 350,000 immigrants every year to add to the skilled work force. Figure that out and come back to me.

I dont lie down and take anything - I make things happen for myself, by improving my skills and abilities and making sure I am the one that gets the job - if I dont I keep on trying and pushing more.

The point has been made time and again that pilots from certain areas easily obtain temporary working visas so yes...it is rather easy to get a work visa in Canada.

"The cost to the operator is $0". Not exactly accurate but close enough and therein lays the rub. The PROCESS to hire a non national should be such that it is cost prohibitive unless absolutely necessary. Hiring a non national for a Canadian employment position should be the LAST RESORT option, not the cheap and expedient option that it has become.

I will say it again....obtaining a work visa in Canada is easier than most other countries, including third world and developing nations. In my opinion, a pilot, rookie or pro, has the RIGHT to expect their government to do a better job of ensuring nationalism in the hiring process.

This is not only a problem in aviation but the entire Canadian workforce in general. If this country can’t fill positions with its own citizens then it needs to change and plan for the future. Outsourcing is a temporary and potentially disastrous policy and only adds to the problems in the future.

Complaining and debating the downfalls of outsourcing is hardly “whining” and I think it would be silly and irresponsible to NOT have the debate.

Sorry worldwings, you got your info still mixed up.

If an operator does get approval for sponsoring foreign pilots then yes, the process moves very quickly and easily enough. However, its the time taken to get the approval through which can be tedious, and not always get approved.

Take for example a certain operator in Vancouver that flies air carrier ops to the island. They applied to HRDC to get labour approval and were rejected. Why, because it was proven they wouldnt be paying the foreign pilots enough to justify outsourcing the labor. But if they didnt need to outsource the labor then why did they apply for it. I dont know of, and haven't met too many pilots in the bush who wanted to go the IFR route and go work with this operator. Why?? Maybe not interesting enough, but more importantly I imagine it was because they werent paying as much money as pilots could make in the bush. However, they were willing to hire people with only 165 hours if they got their IR and written ATP exams done. So there was choice back then - now there isnt. And some Canadian low time pilots may be kicking themselves for not taking that opportunity when they had the chance.

With regards to the cost of sponsoring the foreign pilot, if you want to factor in a couple of man hours work for signing a couple of documents for the process, then sure, might not be $0, but maybe $60-80. As the operator doesn't have to pay for anything - it is all paid for by the foreign pilot wishing to get sponsored. It being easier than other countries maybe true in a sense. But that would be because there is a system in place and it works - yay to Canada. Dont have to enjoy the thrills of a few brown envelopes being sent out to get work permits approved and paid for. That being said, how many people want to go work in third world countries?? Although I know Canadian is off to Afghanistan for a contract - should the Afghanis go talk to their local Govt head about Canadians coming in and taking their work?

A country that was growing as fast as Canada was, doesnt have a problem just because it cant fill all positions in the workforce with Canadian citizens. Like the oilsands. Why were they bringing in tonnes of foreign workers to fill positions, because they just couldnt get the workforce for the work that was needed for things to grow, and to expand and get bigger. To then pay our salaries to fly them around and keep expanding. If you dont want growth, then thats fine. But if you want to expand towns you have to find the people to help them expand. Now that there is a slump, sure everyone is up in arms. Lets take to the streets and start riots and destroy things and gather a mob and kill a few foreigners to vent our anger! Sounds like a great plan. Its bad times, but it will pick up again, and for now everyone just has to do the best they can with what they have - trying to find people and things to blame is just the cowardly and lazy persons way out.

Good one Elvis! No kidding, and its only going to get worse. Lets hope our legislators and the burocracy are up for the task of protecting Canadian jobs.

Sadfeet oh sorry happyfeet if you read this post you see that the Gov is bailing out the auto industry and not the forestry which is employing more people and bringing in more revenue then any other industry in Canada.

Wake up!!!!

Sorry Scuba!

But the fact is that the industry is going through tough times. This BS about getting the skills etc. I know many guys with 3000hrs and an IFR that are out of work. It has nothing to do with skills attitude or anything else but the shortage of jobs. When jobs become short for Canadians then work permits are the first thing to go as there are pilots who are Canadian that can fill the posts. Full stop!

Too Tall, No reason to get personal.

The lumber ndustry has been in a sad sate of affairs for over a decade. And its got everything to do with trade to the USA. The auto industry as you mentioned is the largest employer in Canada. This is why the attention is going there. I hope the bailout works. I hope also that they do something for the Lumber industry.

Sad state of affairs.

HF

Where you this long winded in your visa application? What a concept lets just give all our jobs away cause its the feasible thing for companies too do and let the nationals hit the bricks.

There is no arguing with guys like yourself Scuba as you probably feel the same about me.

The concept is simple Canadian citizen gets to work in his/her own country at job they are more than trained too do. If position can't be filled then by all means, but this is not the case in todays market.

We are also talking about desirable jobs that cost us money to gain abinitio training. Your comparing apples and oranges talking min wage jobs too career joices.

Too Tall, No reason to get personal.

The lumber ndustry has been in a sad sate of affairs for over a decade. And its got everything to do with trade to the USA. The auto industry as you mentioned is the largest employer in Canada. This is why the attention is going there. I hope the bailout works. I hope also that they do something for the Lumber industry.

Sad state of affairs.

HF

HF I am not personal but try to be more constructive :-)

Where to you get the numbers for the auto indu? As fare as I know and have been informed the forest indu is the biggest employer in Canada with the biggest revenue. I might be wrong.

For saving jobs, there are many other industries that could be helped then the auto indu.

I do agree with you on one point; get rid of all the foreigners that to Canada to steal our jobs and woman. Lets send them to.........the moon? Closed borders are the best way to secure Canadian jobs. Go Canucks.

This according to CIC:

Working temporarily in Canada

Every year, over 90,000 foreign workers enter Canada to work temporarily in jobs that help Canadian employers address skill shortages, or as live-in caregivers.

A work permit is needed for most temporary jobs in Canada, though for some positions and business people it is not necessary. More information on work permits for temporary jobs can be found in this section of the website.

Are all 90,000 pilots?