Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

What Is Transport Canada Thinking?

Don't leave home without your engineer!

Quoted from Transport Canada's website:

"EUROCOPTER helicopters models: - AS 350 B, BA, BB, B1, B2, B3 and D - AS 355 E, F, F1, F2 and N, all serial numbers and equipped with tail rotor blade part numbers as per this directive. The statement contained within the Compliance section of this AD and referenced Service instructions , "Note: This check can be carried out by an appropriately trained pilot." has been determined to exceed the privilege extended under STD 625 appendix A (29) and therefore must be carried out by an appropriately qualified Aircraft Maintenance Engineer as per CAR 571.10. Airworthiness Notice - B061, Edition 1 - 2 February 2001"

See for yourself :shock:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/applications/...=true&rand=

WW

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess its just more proof that we really are paid from neck down! HAHA. Could make thing way more difficult for some operaters, given the state of "things" these days. Doesnt sound like we have much a choice though.

Is it really that bad having an engineer around? Who's going to make sure the pilot does his homework and goes to bed on time?

ame206350, I hope you are right, however it states under the applicability "The statement contained within the Compliance section of this AD ...... has been determined to exceed the privilege." Maybe my engineer is wrong, but he reads that as saying the AD states that it's all good with a pilot, but now Transport Canada (in its infinite wisdom) says no..... I think my engineer just wants to stop me from using my magnifying glass.....

ame206350, I hope you are right, however it states under the applicability "The statement contained within the Compliance section of this AD ...... has been determined to exceed the privilege." Maybe my engineer is wrong, but he reads that as saying the AD states that it's all good with a pilot, but now Transport Canada (in its infinite wisdom) says no..... I think my engineer just wants to stop me from using my magnifying glass.....

It states it on the website - not the AD. Maybe you are on to something but the AD would hold the legal language of what's required. At the point the pilot needs the workaid (magnifying glass) it needs to be an AME's sign-out.

I'm only thinking that TC's website doesn't hold any legal authority over us - maybe I'm wrong.

I haven't gone into the nuts and bolts of the AD repair sheets/work orders, but it looks as though AD 2007-0138R1 is a mandatory repair AD for all tail rotors that are affected by AD 2007-0138-E. In that case, yes, engineers only. I may be incorrect....I'm just a pilot :unsure: