Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

What Is Transport Canada Thinking?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't gone into the nuts and bolts of the AD repair sheets/work orders, but it looks as though AD 2007-0138R1 is a mandatory repair AD for all tail rotors that are affected by AD 2007-0138-E. In that case, yes, engineers only. I may be incorrect....I'm just a pilot :unsure:

No you are right but that is a different section of the bulletin. The daily should be unaffected....or whatever....it's not like I haven't been wrong before. :unsure:

This was an information note TC attached to the original AWD. As an information note it has no regulatory compliance requirement. It holds no water, it is a moot statement.

Carry on as if you were normal.

RTR

Between you and me, if I find a crack with a magnifying glass on a T/R blade that I could not see with mynaked eye, I would assume that it's so minor that it would only be a crack in the paint.

I don't wear reading glasses yet and I always believe that every time they tell us to use a magnifying glass, it applies to older people who can't read without glasses.

Same kind of debate applies on Bell medium T/R blades which pilot has to sign before each flight.

Between you and me, if I find a crack with a magnifying glass on a T/R blade that I could not see with mynaked eye, I would assume that it's so minor that it would only be a crack in the paint.

I don't wear reading glasses yet and I always believe that every time they tell us to use a magnifying glass, it applies to older people who can't read without glasses.

Same kind of debate applies on Bell medium T/R blades which pilot has to sign before each flight.

Exactly. The pilot is well qualified to perform this inspection with a quick training session. You guys do this stuff all the time. This is the stuff a good DI is made of....not much extra required. The thing that makes this such a pain in the sphincter is that the incident behind this check has been virtually unheard of since it happened. It's not like guys have been been catching all sorts of cracks and saving the day...it just hasn't been an issue. (the 30 hour T/R spar check is a different story). A pilot should be looking at the blade carefully before every flight anyway.

Ya the way I read it is that AD2007-0138R1 is just soley to incorporate a new repair scheme. In the "required actions" section it CLEARLY says THE PILOT just has to do the same old AD2006-0235-E everyday. All the other "new" info is about a repair scheme.

Just gotta read between the... Wait... Just read the actual lines this time.

I know that the people i work for ( and i assume most others as well) have applied for and use the AMOC......Alternate means of compliance for the Bell T/R AD. For us its once a day with a 2X mag glass and your good to go.........

The once before each start was a magor pain in the ***........

Long time reader/ seldom poster here.

Haven't read the AD or worked on the type but I think you are headed down the wrong path here.

If the AD requires the use of a visual aid (magnifying glass) a pilot cannot perform the inspection. As dumb as it sounds Transport has ruled that using a magnifying glass is beyond a pilots ability. (start jokes now)

Standard 625, Appendix A, paragraph (29);

Standard 625 APPENDIX A - ELEMENTARY WORK

(29) repetitive visual inspections or operational checks (including inspections and tests required by airworthiness directives) not involving disassembly or the use of visual aids, performed out of phase with the aircraft’s scheduled check cycle at intervals of less than 100 hours air time, provided the tasks are also included in the most frequent scheduled maintenance check.

The CARs make you comply with the AD but also restrict who can perform it, regardless of the wording in the foreign AD. Under the CARs the only maintenance that does not require a "Maintenance Release" is Elementary Maintenance. If the task specified in the AD does not fall into the definition of elementary it requires an Engineers release.

This where the magnifying glass comes in. If you need a visual aid to determine the sevicabilty of the aircraft you need an Engineer to release the work.

You need an AMOC to allow pilots to comply with this AD.

Just my 2 cent interpretation. Don't want to see anybody get screwed during these tough times.

I guess pilots never played with magnifying glasses as kids. I wonder what they did play with.