Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Low Time Pilots Out There

Hey guys,

I'm another 100hr wonder fresh out of school and getting set to go find that first job in the industry. I wanted to post the question to all you low timers on this site. How much did you fly last year? and how do you think the 2009 economic forecast will affect your employment status for next season? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post names of companies on the forum. Thanks guys, I'm just trying to be realistic with my expectations before I get my first check ride.

hovergirl

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys,

I'm another 100hr wonder fresh out of school and getting set to go find that first job in the industry. I wanted to post the question to all you low timers on this site. How much did you fly last year? and how do you think the 2009 economic forecast will affect your employment status for next season? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post names of companies on the forum. Thanks guys, I'm just trying to be realistic with my expectations before I get my first check ride.

hovergirl

Hi Hovergirl

I have only been out of flight school for 6 months but I can let you know my experience which may not be representative.

first things first, as a 100hr wonder you will not walk into a flying position. You should expect to get some sort of ground work, probably as ground crew unless you have some other skills that means you can work in some other capacity. You should also expect to work in a ground job for at least a year and probably more in these tough economic times.

In my opinion getting a ground position is good, as it allows you to learn about the industry and how things are done, lessons that will be useful once you get that flying position.

Last year the poor fire season in some parts of the country and the economic slow down meant that high time pilots were sometimes struggling to find work, so lowtimers either did not get into flying positions or flew very little.

This year things are even worse. I would imagine that some places will not even take low timers into ground positions as they do not expect to be working as much this year. This will change if the fire season is very good which I know a lot of operators are hoping.

So I hope to that bleak picture is not too disheartening. In my opinion it is realistic. I expect to be getting my first check ride sometime in 2010. There is one guy in the queue ahead of me where I am now.

Good luck

Shadey

Thanks shadey, I appreciate your response I know it's it's a long process. It's also looking like it will be even tougher with the economic prediction for next season. I'm really interested in those guys that did get that first flying job in the last few years and were able to log some hours. I guess how will next year effect the guys that are still considered low time but on there way to 1000hrs?

Besides begging for a job sweeping the hangar floors I would also consider taking a different route. Apply for a J1 Visa (US), it’s good for two years and allows you to work as a CFI. There are a few flight schools in the US that can help you out with that. Convert your TC license into a FAA commercial and get your CFI certificate and instruct for a while.

Good luck

I believe you don't qualify for a J1 visa if you are already certified as a commercial pilot? I think the visa's intent is for training and then work as a flight instructor. I could be wrong - maybe going into train for CFi is enough. I seem to remember reading 70hrs somewhere as a limit for applying.

Besides begging for a job sweeping the hangar floors I would also consider taking a different route. Apply for a J1 Visa (US), it’s good for two years and allows you to work as a CFI. There are a few flight schools in the US that can help you out with that. Convert your TC license into a FAA commercial and get your CFI certificate and instruct for a while.

Good luck

Besides begging for a job sweeping the hangar floors I would also consider taking a different route.  Apply for a J1 Visa (US), it’s good for two years and allows you to work as a CFI.  There are a few flight schools in the US that can help you out with that.  Convert your TC license into a FAA commercial and get your CFI certificate and instruct for a while.Good luck
I would warn you to be careful going this route.There are a lot of cfiis in the us looki g for work due to the economic slow down and the lack of new students coming on board.

You should also expect to work in a ground job for at least a year and probably more in these tough economic times.

Perhaps it's only a mind set, but you shouldn't "expect to work in a ground job for at least a year," but you should be "willing to" if required.

If you go with the expectation of doing a year of ground work, you will probably get it.

Go for more, and be willing to do whatever it takes to get there...

Attitude, attitude, attitude.... :prop:

Perhaps it's only a mind set, but you shouldn't "expect to work in a ground job for at least a year," but you should be "willing to" if required.

If you go with the expectation of doing a year of ground work, you will probably get it.

Go for more, and be willing to do whatever it takes to get there...

Attitude, attitude, attitude.... :prop:

Fair comment, Skids Up

Since you mentioned it there are some TT limitations on getting a visa issued, but I’m not sure what they are. The exchange rate to the US dollar is in favor of many foreign countries, especially EU. There is also a rumor the US will cancel the J1 sometimes in the near future and a lot of foreigners make us of it now. A hint; I would choose a flight school with international students and schools usually hire from within.

Good or bad idea, hmm…. lets look at it this way. I would definitely increase your options.

One guy I know of got a job flying of tuna boats. How he managed that? I don’t know, but he flew a lot of hours.

Tuna_boats.doc