Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

R22 Pilot Crashes While Texting

Mark_

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SidewallPuncture
Yep, like from when you buckle your seat belt until you shut'er down

True enough.

I wasn't implying that you should take the shoes off, recline the seat and flip on the afternoon soaps and just relax.

I think you have enough experience behind the stick to know what I was talking about.

Personally, I highly doubt the texting was the cause of the accident, and in the same breathe I can say with certainty it likely had a link to the end result.

First off my condolences to family and friends.

Yep, like from when you buckle your seat belt until you shut'er down

I have to 110% agree with 407 on this one and I kno where you were going SWP. I shared tight (200ft alt seperation)airspace in Toronto with a guy flying a traffic 172. The guy had 2 blackberry's, cell phone, did live radio reports, and working terminal and the media aviation freq. He was dangereous. I'm going to leave it at that.

I'm not going to put any judgment on the victm of this crash. Many of you seem to know more into this and I wouldn't be surprised at all if this had zero to do with texting.

Personally, I highly doubt the texting was the cause of the accident, and in the same breathe I can say with certainty it likely had a link to the end result.

Not gonna get into a fight or speculate overly much, but texting could not cause what is thought to have happened. If it did...maybe all you robbie drivers leave ya cells in the office.

Guest SidewallPuncture
Not gonna get into a fight or speculate overly much, but texting could not cause what is thought to have happened. If it did...maybe all you robbie drivers leave ya cells in the office.

all i was trying to say was that if the cell phone was there and he had been using it, it was a distraction that could have been eliminated and perhaps, one less thing that could get in the middle of the very high multitasking environment that a pilot must endure in a an emergency

I'm not going to speculate on the cause of the accident, but distracting yourself at anytime with a cell phone for exmple will cause you to miss clues that something is amiss and heading your way.

Sidewall,

I know what you are saying and there could be some truth in it but the only one who can tell us isnt here :(

I do know that JoJo got a txt from Morgie not that long before the 22 went down. The problem with bloody R22s is that if something does go wrong, ie: engine failure you have less than the time to say "what the farq" and you are history.

Now if Morgie was texting, and I say if, at the time the engine #### itself, then that would have reduced the reaction time, and the rest is well - irrelevant. I do know that he was at around 500ft when he was over that part of the lake and Hughesy probably knows that as well as he was cruising between Haast and Wanaka to go flying on frost protection that night.

When the engine gets pulled up from the lake soon we will have all the answers and I am waiting for that day, and I bet Dave his father and family and friends are too.

Cheers,

Ned

Thoughts and prayers to the family of Morgan.

The MSM's take on texting is crap. I spend more time trying to punch info into a less-than-optimally-programmed AMS, that is poorly positioned and results in my head way down and into the cockpit...Lord knows, he may even have changed frequencies a few times and maybe even taken his hand of the controls to change an altimeter setting! Objective journalism went out the window when the press hopped in bed with the advertisers. :rolleyes:

RIP Morgan.

AV8

True enough.

I wasn't implying that you should take the shoes off, recline the seat and flip on the afternoon soaps and just relax.

I think you have enough experience behind the stick to know what I was talking about.

I'm not going to speculate on the cause of the accident, but distracting yourself at anytime with a cell phone for exmple will cause you to miss clues that something is amiss and heading your way.

??????

Guest SidewallPuncture
??????

I think you fail at your attempts to be the "HAHA gotcha guy"....so go re-read the post, you'll soon be able to differentiate the two. Try again another day. :down: