Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilot/ame

heli_b

Well Geez, I know a pilot/ engineer/ owner who is also always employed , { Paul Spring, Pheonix Heli.} maybe we should all go that route.

It never hurts to add something like that to your skill set, but be careful what you wish for. When I worked for CHC there were numerous pilot/ engineers who flew very little,if at all, as the engineering dept. didn,t want to loose an engineer, and the pilot side didn,t want to spend money on a pilot that may not be available 24/7 because he was engineering.

Go ask your company, or the company you want to work for and get the straight goods.

My 2 cents worth!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Going back to one reply about taking over a p/e machine and having a pile ot snags on it....guys couldn't wait to get my aircraft as they knew everything on it worked the way it was suppose to...to the extent that the company that I worked for was swaping machines with me every time that I just got finished with a big inspection...not only did this piss me off but the guys I was working for were not happy as they had been very considerate in scheduelling my flying so I had time to do both jobs..ie...maint was done in daylight hours...this in turn came about a policy...engineer required for maint...p/e not aloud...company had bit themselfs in the a$%....worked good for me as well...less work ...same pay...oh yeah p/e don't get paid two full salaries...but some do two fulltime jobs...you can ask anyone who got one off my machines :P

• 5 weeks later...

It is also hard to find a company willing to invest in a p/e as it is expensive for them with type courses for maintenance plus endorsements and ppc for flying it can be a big investment for the company especially if their worried you'll leave for the first flying job that comes up.

Can be quite tricky to convince DOM that you are really serious about wrenching if they find out you have pilots licence and they will find out sixth sense or something :unsure:

A good friend of mine has both licenses.

He got laid off from his flying job this winter and now he is the Director of Maintenance at a small company in his home town. He is one of those rare individuals who really does enjoy both flying and wrenching and he is good at both.

If you really are interested in doing both jobs, it never hurts to have another skill set when the economy goes into the dumps.

Don't do it just because you think it will give you an edge. You won't be great at both unless you really really love to do both.

Just my opinion.