Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pay Cuts

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sign of the times. I think I'd have no problem with a small pay cut if it was neccessary provided management took the same cut, and it was reversed when things returned to normal. Two pretty big "if's" though.

Of course when its brought up, it isnt usually an option to say no.

And what happens if the employees say f^% u

I think the answer to that is pretty obvious! Good thing is, is that there is probably a lot of iron setting around so it should be fairly easy to start your own company...

I would encourage companies that are making pay cuts on their employees salaries be transparent about it by opening up the books and proving these cuts are needed.

How would you know what the books are saying? Well maybe you would, but I suspect many wouldn't.

And while I don't want to see it, a 9% cut is better than a 100% cut. That is the fact of life these days...

How often have we heard:

"Things are bad so we need you to - work longer tours, endure a wage freeze, take a pay cut (Choose one or two ) - but don't worry when things get better ....."

Strangely enough things never get better to the point that the company says:

" Things are going great! Here's a raise and shorter tours - thanks for sticking by us when things were tough!"

I have be hearing it off and on for 30 years.

Guest SidewallPuncture

personally, i'd rather endure a pay cut then the alternative larger pay cut when you're forced to go on EI. The bonus is I stay busy and don't sit at home like some crusty old retired jackoff who just wants to whine about everything.

At least with a pay cut, you're foot is still firmly wedged in the door when the work and the wages pick up. the rest on EI have to scramble now to fight for jobs again.

does it suck? yes. Is it fair? no. Is it reality? d*mn right.

Open your eyes people, markets change, and so do we.

If you're not liking the uncertaintly, go get a job at Timmies, people will sell their first born for that daily cup of java and there will always be steady employment there.

If I felt the company was going to be a survivor I would entertain a cut in pay with strings attached.

If I was being asked to help finance operations via the transfer of a % of my wages, then I would ask for an equity position of some form payable when the company returns to a position of profitability. Not without risk but few investments are, which is what you are being asked to make by accepting a reduced wage for continued employment.

Be a proactive investor/employee and shoulder some responsibility by proposing cost saving measures, perhaps in areas such as clothing, travel, accommodations and benefits, you want to keep employed then do something about it where and if your situation allows.

On the other hand sitting at home wondering how you just managed to negotiate your way out of a job would not be much fun either. Still it couldn't hurt to ask your employer how they feel about such an option.

How often have we heard:

"Things are bad so we need you to - work longer tours, endure a wage freeze, take a pay cut (Choose one or two ) - but don't worry when things get better ....."

" Things are going great! Here's a raise and shorter tours - thanks for sticking by us when things were tough!"

If by "we" you mean you and me...................a lot. Any word of this sort of cost saving plan at CHCG sharkie?

How often have we heard:

Thats exactly the point, and from what i've heard said company is pretty top end heavy, so why not just trim the fat and leave the guy's and gals who are actually making you money alone. The other crappy thing is said company is in the north (higher living expenses) and weren't really paying top dollar to begin with. :rant:

I was speaking to a small northern operator about 2 months ago. After a brief chit-chat about how tight things were getting and all the iron sitting around, he looked me square in the eye and said: "Well this is good news for me.... Now I won't have to pay you guys so much...."

I hope it doesn't get so bad that thinking like him doesn't become the 'norm' for operators in general. With the amount of machinery sitting at present, we all need to be realistic as to how market forces of supply and demand affect wages.

If they only need a small crew, but have a thick file of resume's it will not bode well for us when it comes to asking the high salary. Let's hunker down, ride out the storm, and see if things improve. If there is a net loss of ships out of the country as a result of this slow-down... the supply and demand issue may be with us longer than the recession.

Good luck people. Hang in there.