Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pay Cuts

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a paycut is required, then it should be applied to ALL employees, including the owner(s). Everyone has a vested interest and no single group within the organization should bear the brunt of it while others continue to receive 100% of their wages.

It always amazes me, that an owner who has probably sweated bullets on more than one occasion, wondering how to meet payroll, how to find work, how to..., etc., should be lumped into the same group as "everyone else".

They only "owe" you a fair return for your time. (Don't need to go into loyalties here)

What you do to make yourself of more worth is what is important. Some owners won't care, won't recognize it or even care, but then, what do they do for you anyway, outside of what they have to?

Maybe it's fair that everyone takes a hit, or maybe it's fair that the cream rises to the top.

If we were all owners, it sure would be easy, not having to worry about employees and what was or wasn't fair!!

N1 and a few others seem to understand the nature of this industry. When things head south... all bets are off.

There are a lot of small Mom & Pop operators who are not making millions, and they feel the pain the same is their staff. The best way to weather this storm would have been to park some bucks in a savings account over the last few 'good' years just like some of our boss's did. Those that may fold this winter were those that relied on leased machines and were too specialized. Those that own their machines can weather the storm for awhile better than many. There are lessons for all of us to learn from this.

I'm a contractor, same as a lot of you. Failure to have that cash cushion in the bank last fall would have bankrupted me in a short couple of months. No E.I., no fall-back plan... just good planning. The big lesson here for the younger members of this blood sport is to always save for a rainy day. The veterans like me probably needed a refresher course in how good things can go south in a hurry. Always, always, have a contingency fund. Full-time people may be the last to feel the pain, but they will be squeezed as well. My heart goes out to the guys and Gals out there struggling with student loans and kids.

Anybody that thinks they are immune to this are dreaming. The effects of this down-turn is going to affect everybody. Lets hope it is short, the commodity prices go WAYYY up soon. That is the only thing that is gonna turn this around in the helicopter biz. Some of the guys best able to deal with this mess are the Apprentices and 100 pilots who have recently switched careers from something else. Call your old boss.

Again, Good luck to all.

N1 and a few others seem to understand the nature of this industry. When things head south... all bets are off.

There are a lot of small Mom & Pop operators who are not making millions, and they feel the pain the same is their staff. The best way to weather this storm would have been to park some bucks in a savings account over the last few 'good' years just like some of our boss's did. Those that may fold this winter were those that relied on leased machines and were too specialized. Those that own their machines can weather the storm for awhile better than many. There are lessons for all of us to learn from this.

I'm a contractor, same as a lot of you. Failure to have that cash cushion in the bank last fall would have bankrupted me in a short couple of months. No E.I., no fall-back plan... just good planning. The big lesson here for the younger members of this blood sport is to always save for a rainy day. The veterans like me probably needed a refresher course in how good things can go south in a hurry. Always, always, have a contingency fund. Full-time people may be the last to feel the pain, but they will be squeezed as well. My heart goes out to the guys and Gals out there struggling with student loans and kids.

Anybody that thinks they are immune to this are dreaming. The effects of this down-turn is going to affect everybody. Lets hope it is short, the commodity prices go WAYYY up soon. That is the only thing that is gonna turn this around in the helicopter biz. Some of the guys best able to deal with this mess are the Apprentices and 100 pilots who have recently switched careers from something else. Call your old boss.

Again, Good luck to all.

Well put, and I don't see it getting any better soon. have a look at the Alberta purchasing website. The one lease contract comming up for mediums is going to be a rate battle agian. The rate will be $1400 an hour just watch.

You are so right about the full time guys not being safe. All the more reason to work as a contractor and get as much as you can when you can get it. EI only goes so far even at the max benifit payout.

Geez, if every body worked as a contractor I think the wages would go way up.!

HF