Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pay Cuts

The only thing that I would caution agianst is believing that "full time" actualy means full time this year.Just a ploy to get cheap summer help, you will be going home when the demand dies. Go for contract wages only!! Remember the season could be very short lived.

If everybody goes this way, then it ain't gonna be so bad. Don't get jerked around either with staying at home on standby without pay either.

But like cheap alberta machine rates, there will be the low ballers. :angry:

HF

... sounds to me like you should be organizing some kind of Pilots Union - "Happypac"

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for contract wages only!! Remember the season could be very short lived.

So I should quit my job of over 10 years, (where they treat me very well) for a shot at some contract work!?!?! Are you on crack??

If you can't get a job, or keep a job, or don't have the work ethic to stay and build a company, then good luck at the contract thing.

And before everyone jumps on me, this is directed in a pretty straight line.

Go contract if it works for you - just don't try a get those of us that are content where we are with what we have, to join your cause.

Skidz up

No I'm not saying quit a full time job, but realistically in a shrinking economy I wouldn't believe a single operator if they begin down that line of "full time job" because when the work dries up the new guy with the least seniority is going to get sent home anyway. So if they need the crew in this economy at least you are going to maximize earnings in the short term because the long term these days just don't exist.

But good for you on that $15,000 per month full time job.

That simple.

HF

Ok Happy toes 'n feet ...I see what your saying but reality just doesn't work that way.

You are from another planet aren't you?

What do you mean its doesn't work that way, it sure as **** does last time I checked.

Here is the Senario:

Ring Ring: Hello!

Is this Joe Blow, why yes it is!

Hi its the Chief pilot from ABC helicopters we are looking for a guy!You got .....

Sure I do!

Great, what's the deal.

We are looking for a team player for out team. At Our company, we have a benefits package, dental, and its a full time job. there is a 3 month probationary period ( and its May15th).Though!

Great sign me up! Love to come work full time for you guys.....

Meanwhile the fire season is slowly starting and machines are going out the hanger door, and buddy is off to work, evereything is going great 1 rotation, 2 roations 3 rotations. August comes along and things start to slow down.

New guys is sitting at home with his family a few days past the normal days off wondering when he is going back out and the call will come. So he calls the CP up and sais whats up am I going back to work soon. Cp sais " things are slowing down and we had a few machines released so we are not sure if we got anything lined up. A month goes buy no word. He doesn't want to call agian for fear of being annoying... Then the bad news come..."We are laying guys off".

So there sits buddy wondering what happened to his full time job! And goes to collect his EI. A whopping $1600 per month.

Side wall I have seen it happen personally a few times and heard the story from 100 guys,finally I realized that you cannot bet your season which could go or not on false promisses.

The bottom line is my loyalty is worth absolutely NOTHING! in comparison to the operator who is counting his own beans. :down:

So lesson learned!! don't believe a thing you hear get as much as you can when you can.! Add on a crappy economy and the reality is there will be many of these false promisses this year and yet more disapointed frustrated young pilots left holding the bag. I don't belive for a miniute that company actuall give a heap of dung for my welfare, its all about profits or the bottom line. When things are tough like in this economy greed and tactics are amplified.!

Company owns AC, pilots fly them so company can make money! There are a few companies out there where guys just won't work because of this type of BS. Yet there are a few ( not many) good companies that care about the welfare of their people. But when push comes to shove it's the pilot that takes the pill.

Through this whole senario the ojective of the company is to maximize its profits so why is it unfair for the pilot to maximize his!! Well Ill tell ya why because the pilot ( not all but most) believe that the company is doing him a great favour by letting him fly thier helicopter. When the reality is that its the pilot who is doing the company the favour by filling up the bank account for the wealthy owners.

Go contract! and make as much hay as possible when sunny!! And don't believe a single line about " we don't hire contratcors"-As soon as that helicopter sits and the owners greed kicks in they will hire contractors. So put the ball in your court not the companies in this PARTICULAR economy. It just ain't worth the risk.

I hope everybody makes lots of dough this year.

HF

So if they need the crew in this economy at least you are going to maximize earnings in the short term because the long term these days just don't exist.

So in an economy where things are slowing down, they are going to pay YOU a big contract fee instead of a lower price (in your words) full time guy???

What planet are you from?? Why would an operator commit to a high price contract scum, (unless you are willing to work day by day, short term), if things are going to be slow???

And if you work day by day, (short term), where are the big maximized earnings???

How is your own personal helicopter company doing? Making lots of money yet? Quite a business plan you got going there.

So in an economy where things are slowing down, they are going to pay YOU a big contract fee instead of a lower price (in your words) full time guy???

What planet are you from?? Why would an operator commit to a high price contract scum, (unless you are willing to work day by day, short term), if things are going to be slow???

And if you work day by day, (short term), where are the big maximized earnings???

How is your own personal helicopter company doing? Making lots of money yet? Quite a business plan you got going there.

Skidz-up , I think you mis interpret what I am trying to say. What I am trying to communicate is not to get trapped into a "supposed full time job" as a pilot when it's a known fact that the work will in all likely hood be short lived, and you the Pilot will get layed off anyway. Charge a contract rate. Fuckem! They are the ones making the big bucks.

Your statement "How is your own personal helicopter company doing? Making lots of money yet? Quite a business plan you got going there" brings the point home. why not just tell the pilot honestly that he is going to get layed off instead of playing the "full time job story". That just leads to frustration and disapointment when the truth comes out. If you understand the industry you know that the operators pull out the "full time card all the time", knowing full well that the pilot is ghandi in the fall. As far as I am concerned this is not a full time job. And therefore the contract higher rate applies.

I think anybody with half a brain who is a pilot right now "without" a full time job who contracts out services would be best to remain doing so and not get caught up in promisses of "full time Jobs" that the economy and scarce work won't support.

I don't think its scumy at all to get the best rate you can, of course the operators not all but most will pull the "full time story out" just to get cheaper labour.

I have no problem being a full time pilot but is the operator actually going to keep good to his word. Unlikely.

Anyway it's a blood sport like AH1 stated earlier. The best advice I have to anybody crazy enough to accept a full time job, get it in writting and make sure your arse is covered. If the operator refuses to write something down that protects your supposed "full time job at a lower rate" then something is a rye. The company has alot more to gain on the profit end than the pilot so why shouldn't the company eat the risk. Big money big risk.

I hope this clairifies things a little better.

HF