Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pay Cuts

I do apologize for the 'contract scum' thing. It was a bit over the line. Guess I let the heat of the moment get me in trouble.

I know good contract people and bad ones. As well I know bad full time people and good full time people.

It wasn't meant to paint all contract people - just a poor choice of words.

My apologies to all I offended.

But I just have no idea where HF gets the idea that in these times, that 'one' can demand big contract rates over someone who might be willing to go for the long haul.

Just different points of view I guess. But you probably don't want to come here demanding high contract rates. It'll be just a waste of gas and time....

Back in the day..............................Don't ya hate it when old pilots start a conversation with a line like that??? Anyway.............Back in the day around about 1981 or so the helicopter business was booming and I quit a really good full time job to go contract. Made really good money too for the time and took home about 30'000 bucks after 5 months. not too shabby for a 206 pilot 28 years ago.

The following year I got 8 weeks total for the year and was lucky to get 150 a day. the full time guys were mostly OK ( unless they were culls of course and then they got culled). The contract guys ate excrement for about 3 years.

So my guess is that this year if you ain't signed on right now as a full time fixer or breaker you are going to be having a bit of a time finding any work period.

Unless you count greeting shoppers at Walmart as a job.

And by the way we pool scum find the term pool scum derogatory. :lol:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "its all about me" guys have had a good run the past few years and good on them. But when the tide turns as it has, an employer will vividly remember who the individuals were that held them at ransom. Wouldn't you?

Truer words have never been spoken.

We all revel in the good times. I'm 'contract' too.... but believe me... it is good and bad. I have respect and, currently, a bit of envy, for the full-time guys who worked all winter when I did not. I worked for a 'GREAT' company last season when troubles hadn't reared their ugly head. I understood exactly where I rated in the food-chain back in March. I was offered full-time, but turned it down, and took my lumps accordingly. Am I bitter? **** no! If you want to play in the contract game, you better be prepared. When things get better, will there be jobs for contractors?... absolutely. Everything in this industry is cyclical. up and down in equal measures. I my humble opinion, you can play both sides of the fence if you are paying attention to the 'big picture' If you are not paying attention, then you become a victim of Darwin. Suck it up and take your lumps if you chose wrong and tuck that 'experience' in your cap for next time. Once a contractor is not a death sentence. Learn to watch the markets, read the industry. You can be either contractor or full-time.

The pro or con on contractors is a totally a moot point. If you know when to hold 'em or know when to fold em', you can do ok, but you have to be 'first', not last in line. Be pro-active. Learn to read the markets that our industry is so totally dependent on.

It's all about timing. Always was. Choose accordingly.

Above all, don't whine.

The "its all about me" guys have had a good run the past few years and good on them. But when the tide turns as it has, an employer will vividly remember who the individuals were that held them at ransom. Wouldn't you?

Truer words have never been spoken.

We all revel in the good times. I'm 'contract' too.... but believe me... it is good and bad. I have respect and, currently, a bit of envy, for the full-time guys who worked all winter when I did not. I worked for a 'GREAT' company last season when troubles hadn't reared their ugly head. I understood exactly where I rated in the food-chain back in March. I was offered full-time, but turned it down, and took my lumps accordingly. Am I bitter? **** no! If you want to play in the contract game, you better be prepared. When things get better, will there be jobs for contractors?... absolutely. Everything in this industry is cyclical. up and down in equal measures. I my humble opinion, you can play both sides of the fence if you are paying attention to the 'big picture' If you are not paying attention, then you become a victim of Darwin. Suck it up and take your lumps if you chose wrong and tuck that 'experience' in your cap for next time. Once a contractor is not a death sentence. Learn to watch the markets, read the industry. You can be either contractor or full-time.

The pro or con on contractors is a totally a moot point. If you know when to hold 'em or know when to fold em', you can do ok, but you have to be 'first', not last in line. Be pro-active. Learn to read the markets that our industry is so totally dependent on.

It's all about timing. Always was. Choose accordingly.

Above all, don't whine.

Probably one of the BETTER posts ever on this subject!!! :up: :up:

Guest SidewallPuncture
Sorry I just don't cateer to the Chicken Little world. Have you read the posts in this thread? Interesting read?? Calling people scum is interesting? Sorry don't get it, give me some facts and then discuss it, otherwise go back to the playground.

do you have an address for that better forum (playground if you will) that has all you desire....I'd like to go check it out.

Sorry, it'll never exist unless you treat it like a communist rule and censor everything not to your liking.

The facts are....and sorry this is such a broad topic for you to understand....but people are unhappy right now ...that in itself makes an interesting topic and fortunately opens the eyes of many who have been living in their happy bubble. No matter how good you think it is, someone else isn't having a good time.

We have all types on this forum, and thankfully that makes any topic exciting to watch. We have the brown nosers, the regular guys and the a-holes. Where do you think you fit in?

I do my job to the best of my abilities. I do what I am told to do, add input when needed, keep the customer happy, and try to be a team player. I have never been laid off, fired or unemployed. Am I the greatest engineer that ever lived? Of course not. Does the world owe me a living. Of course not. Does the world sit with baited anticipation of some enlightening statement that I am going to make. Of course not. Do I make posts calling guys "scumbags" of "a-ho*es. Not that I remember :lol: . Am I happy at what I do. Yes. Have I always been happy. Of course not. Do I go on the internet and tell the rest of the world that they all su*k because I am unhappy.. Of course not. Thats where I fit in.

Guest SidewallPuncture
I do my job to the best of my abilities. I do what I am told to do, add input when needed, keep the customer happy, and try to be a team player. I have never been laid off, fired or unemployed. Am I the greatest engineer that ever lived? Of course not. Does the world owe me a living. Of course not. Does the world sit with baited anticipation of some enlightening statement that I am going to make. Of course not. Do I make posts calling guys "scumbags" of "a-ho*es. Not that I remember :lol: . Am I happy at what I do. Yes. Have I always been happy. Of course not. Do I go on the internet and tell the rest of the world that they all su*k because I am unhappy.. Of course not. Thats where I fit in.

And the likes of HappyFeet and his many personas also fit in there somewhere.

He's a brother in this industry and although he's not liked by all, nor am I, nor are others, they have a seat in this forum just like every other member who fits the status quo.

And the likes of HappyFeet and his many personas also fit in there somewhere.

He's a brother in this industry and although he's not liked by all, nor am I, nor are others, they have a seat in this forum just like every other member who fits the status quo.

<

I agree with what you said......but happyfeet does not have a seat in here,sorry but the guy did crash.

your the only one calling him a brother, please don't get yourself in that kind of dirt.

It is only a matter of time before he gets banned from here, why? check out the rules and guide lines of the forum and you will see that he already got half of is so skinny body OUT!

^^^I'm with 212 on this one. He pretty much summed it up.